Pros and cons of updating to 2.1?General

Last Updated: 2011-03-14 01:33:05
  1. DexTyler

DexTyler Well-Known Member

The title pretty much says it all. Should I update from 1.6 to 2.1? Is it worth it? Is it dangerous to do so? Any help is appreciated:D

Advertisement
  2. Praccy

Praccy Well-Known Member

If your using a stock (ie unflashed) phone and the phone supplier has authorised the 2.1 update then yes is worth doing using the official LG updater.
  3. DexTyler

I'm abit funny about modifying, so yes, it would be a stock update. But I heard something about how it's slower or does'nt work as good. Is that true?
  4. xlomo

xlomo Active Member

From what I hear, downgrade to 1.6 from 2.1 is not possible so if you are sceptical about it don't upgrade, my phone came with 2.1 preinstalled so i can't compare with 1.6, but it runs smoothly and is fully operational.
    In 2.1 you can have multiple google accounts, and live wallpapers, but I am sure there are more to it.
  5. dinomtk

dinomtk Member

Well I think its worth updating. I have a phone for 4 months and I updated it before 2 weeks, and I can say I'm happy I did. On 1.6 it became slow, it would take like 10 secs sometimes just to unlock it wen you slide to unclock, it would just stop recognising the SIM card n make me type in the PIN again, it would crash apps all the time (a few important times it even crashed the alarm so I almost overslept) n so on so on n it was so annoyin that i almost regret tht i got the phone n wanted to change it. But I tried the update n i can say it makes things ALOT better. It runs smooth, its not slow, everything works just the way it should. I have no bugs i had before, on 1.6 i would restart it myself like every day or 2 because it would get slow, but now it can run for 5 days n it wont get any slower. And beside that its a bit nicer, some widgets look better, for example power menagment its not white anymore, its black n to me it looks better, and you get some new wallpapers and live wallpapers. Well to stop making this long i really think its worth of updating because it fixes all bugs that 1.6 has.
  6. DexTyler

Well I guess I'll do the update then. Is there any risk though?
  7. DexTyler

Sorry for bumping but I really need to know if it's safe to update. I heard something about the phone becoming inoperable if the connection fails or something. I really wnat 2.1 but don't want to break the phone.
  8. xlomo

xlomo Active Member

I think there's always a small chance of bricking your phone if something goes wrong during the update, but I don't know if this is covered by the warranty since you are doing it the official way. well it should.
  9. iRhyiku

iRhyiku Well-Known Member

Isnt there less chance of bricking your phone using the KDZUpdater?
  10. dinomtk

dinomtk Member

I used the official LG program to update, but I didn't have luck the first time. I had really ALOT of programs (for example, iTunes, Windows Media Player, MSN and few more programs) and it wasnt a good idea... It was all going fine till i decided to close the running programs and wen I did that the LG program just crashed and I was left with an useless phone. I took it to service n warantee covered the problem, they had to change the mother board and gave me a new warantee. So next time I restarted my laptop and turned off everything I didnt need and everything went just fine so just make sure to turn off everything that might slow down your computer and you should be fine.
  11. Praccy

Praccy Well-Known Member

Yeah, just use the LG updater and leave your PC alone while updating, i have updated four GT540's from 1.6 to 2.1 and then to 2.2 (2.2 is not a stock update) and all have been fine.
    Just don't use your PC while its updating, takes about 10 - 20 mins depending on your broadband speed.
  12. DexTyler

So it doesn't download it first then start the update? It just starts downloading and installs bit by bit?

What would happen if my interent connection got cut for a minute or two? It happens sometimes (not frequently though).
  13. Praccy

Praccy Well-Known Member

Yes it downloads the update first, but it's about 130/140 MB in size, so dependent on your BB speed how quick you get it. If you loose your connection before the update is downloaded i would imagine it would abort the update before it tried to update the phone.
  14. kevin95

kevin95 Well-Known Member

Pros: A lot of things. (Read the official update website)
    Cons: Everything from your phone will be deleted.
  15. Kotori-kun

Kotori-kun Active Member

I was also debating on whether or not I should upgrade to 2.1 (I upgraded officially)

I had 1.6 and I can honestly say 2.1 is much better!
    The layout looks more sleek, live wallpapers look really good (better than I thought), the interface (like contacts, call log, home screens) all look better, and the best part is when I had 1.6 it took a while for a call to end when I dragged the bar, but now its instant in 2.1. As a fellow owner, I highly recommend upgrading.
  16. DexTyler

Well in that case, it sounds pretty safe.

I was at the store that sells it today and asked what they'd do if something went wrong with the update and they said repairs could take 4-6 weeks.So that's why I'm asking.

I don't want to get the phone, have it for 3 days and then have it send off for a month to be fixed.

What are the chances of the update going wrong? On a scale of 1-100.
  17. Praccy

Praccy Well-Known Member

LOL just do it, you could have done it by now and be enjoying 2.1. :)

TBH if your pc is stable and you internet is ok the risk would be 0%

But remember ALL your data will be wiped.
  18. DexTyler

Well my computer is a fairly brand new Windows XP and is only just a year old. I havent had any crashs or issues yet. Is that what has caused problems for most other people?
  19. skairdykat

skairdykat Member

I updated mine,at,the weekend with the LG update tool with no problems. I followed what it said on LGs website and got an app from the market (can't remember the name of it) which I backed up all my apps to. I also back up my contacts to my Google account. It yells you how to do all that on LG website.
    The update itself took about 20 mins. It seems to get stuck at 4% but if you leave it alone it starts up again.
    All stuff on SD card is still there after update.
    Hope that helps: )
  20. DexTyler

Well I got my Gt540 yesterday and it was running fine (came with 1.6 sadly). But today I've noticed it was a little slugish at startup and the market crashed twice before working fine.

Would 2.1 make it go faster? And if it helps, I'm on Vodafone Australia with software version V10a.
  21. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

Yap...