• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pros & cons: Htc incredible vs evo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleepBlorp

May 11, 2010
So I have had my phone for about two weeks (HTC Incredible) and I am guessing we all know of the EVO to come with Sprint. I live in los angeles and even though I have had verizon for over 7 years the price plan for sprint for the evo even with the now required $10 +69.99 plan seems still cheaper than my plan at $85 which includes 500 texts, 450 mins, and unlimited data... I would just like to know your opinions for and against the EVO... mind you I have heard that their customer service is much better now... so please cite fact over feeling thanks. Already know basic facts versus each.. evo has bigger screen, less on board memory, two cams, HD recording/playback...

thanks. :)

lol i hope i dont garner rabid anyone.. looking for actual peoples experience, but i am wondering about the service.. in all honesty, not what people know from ads or one-sidedness. The size thing was a concern... woudl love that screen size but then being able to put it in my pocket.. yeah.. but just wondering if its crossed anyone elses mind about switching to the EVO even after getting the incredible.

Upvote 0
I own the Incredible and I'll be buying the EVO too. Best phone after 30 days usage wins my next 2-year contract.

Carrier discussions are useless and stupid. It all depends on where you live, work, and travel. Every carrier is strong in some places, and weak in others. User experiences can even differ within the same city, since tower placement will vary.

The only things that can be objectively compared are hardware specs, software, and pricing differences. My notes follow...

The "EVO is better" list:

4G/3G radios (automatic switching)
4.3" screen (vs 3.7")
1500 mah battery (vs 1300)
simultaneous voice & data
built-in hotspot (up to 8 devices)
HDMI video-out port
video chat included
front-facing 1.3MP camera
720p video recording (vs 480p)
8GB sd card included (vs 2GB)
1GB ROM (vs 512MB)
full retail price $450 (vs $600)
unlimited voice, text & data $80/mo (vs $120)
integrated kickstand

The "Incredible is better" list:

8GB internal storage
optical joystick

Upvote 0
My Incredible call quality is incredibly poor. Verizon can't replace it because the phone is backordered until after my 30-day return window has gone by. With the volume of complaints about call quality, I am not certain that a replacement phone will resolve the issue, and don't want to lose the ability to return it. Other than that, it is a fantastic phone. If I didn't have to make voice calls, it would be brilliant.

This is the only reason I started looking at the Evo.. although I am sure the chance of the same radio being used is very high.

Upvote 0
I own the Incredible and I'll be buying the EVO too. Best phone after 30 days usage wins my next 2-year contract.

Carrier discussions are useless and stupid. It all depends on where you live, work, and travel. Every carrier is strong in some places, and weak in others. User experiences can even differ within the same city, since tower placement will vary.

The only things that can be objectively compared are hardware specs, software, and pricing differences. My notes follow...

4.3" screen (vs 3.7")
HDMI video-out port
video chat included
1GB ROM (vs 512MB)
integrated kickstand

8GB internal storage
optical joystick

You list the hotspot as an advantage but do not list that is costs an extra $29.99. Which means if you want to use it that makes the cost $11o.

Upvote 0
Just to play devil's advocate...

4G/3G radios (automatic switching) ---limited Wimax (not "4G") markets
4.3" screen (vs 3.7") --- consumes more power
1500 mah battery (vs 1300) --- reportedly worse battery life from "other foru m" user
simultaneous voice & data --- only on 4G + Wifi, 3g = same as incredible
built-in hotspot (up to 8 devices) --- costs $30/month more
HDMI video-out port
video chat included
1GB ROM (vs 512MB)
integrated kickstand

8GB internal storage
optical joystick

Also for the incredible:

Better battery life
Smaller, slimmer, lighter
more pocketable
Verizon network > Sprint
Cheaper plans for those who don't want "unlimited plans"

Upvote 0

Also for the incredible:

Better battery life

Completely unknown, and quite probably untrue. EVO has a larger stock battery. Also 4G radio uses less power than 3G, so users in 4G cities will almost certainly see superior battery life versus the Incredible.

more pocketable

These are the same thing.

Verizon network > Sprint

You don't read very well, do you? Carrier comparisons are invalid because you don't live, work and travel where I live, work and travel. Some of us don't live in Boonieville and actually have a choice of more than one servicable mobile phone service.

I suppose. The cheapest you can get an Incredible is $70/mo. That's 450 minutes, no texts, and data. The cheapest Sprint plan would be like $10 more, but would include unlimited texts.

Upvote 0

Also for the incredible:

Better battery life
more pocketable
Verizon network > Sprint
Those seem more like personal preferences than actual "pros". battery life is yet to be determined for the evo but i would venture to guess that it is much worse with that tft lcd and larger screen, 1500 battery or not.

Upvote 0
You list the hotspot as an advantage but do not list that is costs an extra $29.99. Which means if you want to use it that makes the cost $11o.

The 8-device official hotspot is an advantage, price included. Verizon also charges extra for tethering ($30 or $15, depending on your plan), and Verizon caps your data usage at 5GB. You can tether one device.

Sprint will charge $30, allow you to tether 8 devices, and the usage is truly unlimited.

And before someone comments about tethering via pdanet et al. or via root, those aren't exactly 100% kosher solutions. There's no guarantee that either will continue to work (on either phone) or that the carrier won't detect the usage and impose massive surcharges (or even terminate service). Therefore the comparison here is only for fully-legal carrier sanctioned tethering.

Upvote 0
This is the problem with technology, it constantly advances. The Incredible is the best phone available right now, the Evo will be the best phone available when it comes out (albeit there really isnt ALOT of difference between the two phones). This will never stop, better start dealing with it and being grateful for the phone that you have and not envious every time a slightly better phone comes out. Marketing is a bitch.

Upvote 0
This is the problem with technology, it constantly advances. The Incredible is the best phone available right now, the Evo will be the best phone available when it comes out (albeit there really isnt ALOT of difference between the two phones). This will never stop, better start dealing with it and being grateful for the phone that you have and not envious every time a slightly better phone comes out. Marketing is a bitch.

Normally I would agree with your sentiment, but in the case of the EVO vs. the Incredible the comparisons are a bit more germane. The phones are being released within a month of each other. They're both made by HTC, powered by the same 1ghz processor, run same version of Android, and sport the same Sense UI.

Its not so much a case of one being newer. Its more of a pure consumer decision between two products with many core similarities. Presumably every single person who owns an Incredible right now still has the option to return it since we're still within the 30 day window after launch.

Upvote 0
Normally I would agree with your sentiment, but in the case of the EVO vs. the Incredible the comparisons are a bit more germane. The phones are being released within a month of each other. They're both made by HTC, powered by the same 1ghz processor, run same version of Android, and sport the same Sense UI.

Its not so much a case of one being newer. Its more of a pure consumer decision between two products with many core similarities. Presumably every single person who owns an Incredible right now still has the option to return it since we're still within the 30 day window after launch.

Good point, I guess what i was trying to get at was that a consumer will never fully be satisfied with a product. It really comes down to your own personal technological line. At what point are you going to say, "this is exactly what I want"

Upvote 0
I never thought battery life would be touted as a pro for the incredible..

Ironic isn't it? If you go over on androidcentral.com there was someone who had a 4G Evo for a while now. He posted a vid that got taken down. But in his words he had played with the phone for a couple of hours and it was down to 25%.

I pay $60/month thanks to Verizon's generous corporate discount. Sprint would destroy my monthly bill.

I'll leave out any response for the fan boy who choose to ignore carrier quality :) LOL...yes because I might as well switch to T-mobile because I only buy into phones. What's all this bickering been about the iphone and AT&T's service again?

Upvote 0
who really cares? At the end of the day all the matters is the carrier that best suits ur needs not the phone. if you care about the phone that much than your most likely not that important of a person who needs a reliable network. If sprint had good service in my area id def get the evo. however, they suck balls here and i actually like to leave my state and travel so that wouldnt b happening with sprint.

Upvote 0
One thing to consider is the upgrades. Neither the Incredible nor Evo will be getting Android 2.2(FroYo) anytime soon. HTC takes forever to release upgrades because of their Sense UI. Not to mention, Sprint is not as fast as Verizon in helping to release these. Froyo will raise Android to a new level.

so? you can do it yourself. you can root your phone and put w.e you want on your phones which is what i will be doing.

Upvote 0
The 8-device official hotspot is an advantage, price included. Verizon also charges extra for tethering ($30 or $15, depending on your plan), and Verizon caps your data usage at 5GB. You can tether one device.

Sprint will charge $30, allow you to tether 8 devices, and the usage is truly unlimited.

And before someone comments about tethering via pdanet et al. or via root, those aren't exactly 100% kosher solutions. There's no guarantee that either will continue to work (on either phone) or that the carrier won't detect the usage and impose massive surcharges (or even terminate service). Therefore the comparison here is only for fully-legal carrier sanctioned tethering.

how is that an advantage when you hav eto pay $30 extra? you can pay the extra and get it on verizon also. Yes its capped to 5 gb on verizon so thats the only downfall.

And stop trying to scare people and saying carriers will detect your usage blah blah blah. I work for verizon and NO WE WONT. i had a droid rooted with WIFI tethering and i used 7-10 gbs 3 months in a row and didnt get charged a single dime.

Upvote 0
ok so on the plus side i did get one thing from this conversation haha... verizon will probably release 2.2 on the incredible before sprint does for the evo... and before any of you haters bite, i said probably... based on history... and verizon having to appease more people for this phone and android in particular now.

Would still like to hear from considering the switch.. lemme know what is the cheapest sprint evo plan (without the lol oh so controversial hotspot feature) vs the verizon one i have with 450 mins/500txts+data is $80+/mo. If its not any cheaper then theres no point since I got the fone for $200 (with a one year contract... the best they offered me was $100 for 2 yr btw)I do believe sprint has a deal if you port another number like a hundred off. I wont have 4g anywhere I live for a year+... but man some of those features wouda been nice... hell id be happy with the hd recording and playback... come on HTC!

Upvote 0
(albeit there really isnt ALOT of difference between the two phones)

Uh, how can you honestly look at the pros that Berner posted for the EVO and make this comment with a straight face? :rolleyes:

Would still like to hear from considering the switch.. lemme know what is the cheapest sprint evo plan (without the lol oh so controversial hotspot feature) vs the verizon one i have with 450 mins/500txts+data is $80+/mo. If its not any cheaper then theres no point since I got the fone for $200 (with a one year contract... the best they offered me was $100 for 2 yr btw)I do believe sprint has a deal if you port another number like a hundred off. I wont have 4g anywhere I live for a year+... but man some of those features wouda been nice... hell id be happy with the hd recording and playback... come on HTC!

Check with Sprint to see if you qualify for any discounts. They work with numerous businesses. I get 22% off my bill for being a fire fighter.

Upvote 0

4G/3G radios (automatic switching) No 4g here. Means dick to me.
4.3" screen (vs 3.7") Personal preference on this one.
1500 mah battery (vs 1300) Bigger battery that discharges faster.
simultaneous voice & data This is nice.
built-in hotspot (up to 8 devices) Don't care.
HDMI video-out port Again, this is nice.
video chat included I don't want to see my ugly friends, and I'm sure they feel the same.
front-facing 1.3MP camera Pointless for me.
720p video recording (vs 480p) This is something I hope gets fixed in an update. The Incredible's camera should be more than capable.
8GB sd card included (vs 2GB) 8 gigs of internal storage plus the 2 gig card actually puts this in favour of the Incredible.
1GB ROM (vs 512MB) Incredible had 7 hundred some megs last time I checked.
full retail price $450 (vs $600) $200 on contract either way.
unlimited voice, text & data $80/mo (vs $120) Way lesser network in most areas.
integrated kickstand This is too laughable for me to comment on.

8GB internal storage
optical joystick

This is why the Inc. is fine for me.

Upvote 0
Uh, how can you honestly look at the pros that Berner posted for the EVO and make this comment with a straight face? :rolleyes:

let's run down the list shall we?

The "EVO is 'better'" list:

yes, because we all live in a 3.5G network (i refuse to call wimax 4g).

4.3" screen (vs 3.7")
cause we all like to carry around netbooks in our pockets...
negated by the fact .6" difference in screen area takes more power to display. and if you live where i live, work, and travel, it'll be looking for service like a crackhead looking for a fix in a nun communal...
if you're in a 4g area, i suppose.. which 90% of the population still isn't.
yes because i can be on 8 devices at one time. and like to pay 30 bucks a month to do something my laptop and a router can do for free. and it's legal. ICS anyone? (in theory this is possible, haven't tried it out yet)
HDMI video-out port
yes because the 480x800 resolution looks so sexy i have to watch tv on it... it will replace my PS3.... :rolleyes: and everyone wants to see what i'm doing on my phone....
video chat included
wow we actually found an actual plus.
my ps3 came with a 60GB drive, but now it has a 250GB drive... the sd card isn't permanent just like my ps3's hard drive. easy to swap, i swapped. my inc will be getting a 16GB microsd card in a couple days (waiting on fedex)..
1GB ROM (vs 512MB)
actually 748.. and if rumors are true, froyo will allow the inc to use its internal drive for app storage as well. so then it will be 8gb vs 1gb.. who wins there?
retail pricing is set by hTc. if they set the inc at 529, i doubt they'll set it at 450 for sprint. i did a quick search and couldn't confirm the 450. i could be wrong.
sounds great.. but why pay for something you can't use? i travel in state a lot... i had sprint for 2 years.. i rarely used their network, and i'm in FL.. lots of dead spots in this state for sprint.. verizon has a some too, i won't lie. but it's not half as bad as sprint.
integrated kickstand
can it do wheelie's too? what about a stopie?

i wish this evo would hurry up and come out so all the trolls will leave.

Upvote 0
ok so on the plus side i did get one thing from this conversation haha... verizon will probably release 2.2 on the incredible before sprint does for the evo... and before any of you haters bite, i said probably... based on history... and verizon having to appease more people for this phone and android in particular now.

here you go...

Everything Data Plan - with Any Mobile, Anytime

-Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier.
-Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, GPS Navigation, Sprint TV and Radio, NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
-Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
-Talk: Night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
-Anytime Minutes: 450 (45

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones