• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prospective User Question: Optimus 3 and Google Voice

Skylamar

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Hi. I'm thinking of buying an Optimus S. I've never had an Android phone or a smart phone (though I own an IPod Touch).

I want the Optimus S because I want an Android phone for two purposes: using Google Voice (running the Google Voice app) and (less often) using GPS with Google Maps. (Actually, does using Google Maps even require data or is it only using GPS?)

However, I know the Optimus S only supports 3G, not 4G. So my questions are: is 3G on the Optimus S fast enough for downloading/streaming Google Voice's voicemail messages? Is 3G fast enough for turn by turn directions using GPS?

Thanks!

Sky

I'd say it's pretty stable as far as 3g is but runs even better with wifi signal. The LG Optimus S was my very first Android device and I still have it. It's a very decent and simple phone to have, even better when it's rooted because there are some amazing custom roms to use. But it all matters where you're located at signal wise, but as I mentioned before, with both 3g and wifi, you should fairly have a decent signal :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones