Protecting those vulnerable buttonsAccessories

Last Updated:

1. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The CALL and END buttons on the Hero apparently wear off, to the point of showing just solid green and red buttons. Rather annoying.

Has anybody found a viable solution for this without going for an Otterbox Defender case? The full skin kits seem to have a cutout for the buttons, leaving them exposed. I'm curious to know if anybody has tried creating their own cut-outs from screen protectors and applying them over the buttons. Also... I've been thinking about perhaps trying a matte clear nail polish, to prevent this wear from happening. Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. xevious

Anyone, anyone?

3. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

My Hero will be 13 months old this week, and I just started noticing the paint peeling on the red power button. It now looks like a red "heart" or almost a triangle, rather than a Phone handset and "power" indicator. Some folks started mentioned it happening to their's months ago, so I guess I can't complain too much. It may have to do with how one uses the buttons. Using the edge of a sharp fingernail may speed up the loss of paint more than using the soft part of the finger ...I dunno what to suggest...

4. xevious

Thanks for sharing your experience, JB.

I looked at a few "skin" kits that cover the lower part of the control panel on the Hero, but it has cutouts for the phone/end buttons that leave them exposed.

I've thought up a few possible solutions:

1. Cut out a piece of screen protector and apply over the buttons: This doesn't really work. Even if you wet the key, the protector doesn't stay in place long term. All it takes is a moist finger to press hard enough, and the protector will lift off.
    2. Clear nail polish might work. Conservatively applied, it could be enough to protect the silver coating from coming off of the buttons without changing the look/feel of the buttons too much.
    3. Another idea would be to take the excess trim of a skin kit and cut it to fit the buttons. You could cut a small hole in the center so that you don't lose the button icon, but the protecting material will reduce finger contact.
    4. Another possibility would be to combine the first two solutions: Apply a small bit of clear nail polish and then overlay a small piece of screen protector cut to fit. This would ensure a smooth outer surface. The only drawback might be if the protector piece got pulled off--it might cause some of the silver facing to lift off. Or... if it simply separates from the nail polish, it should leave a smooth surface behind. That might do the trick.