Protecting your Nexus One

Last Updated:

1. Dendore

Dendore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now I, like many, have ordered my N1 today (Very excited). I paid the right out 530 and then some. This is the first phone I will own that I would have considered it worth getting phone insurance on.

I have talked to a Tmo rep, and they said they only offer phone insurance on phones they sell, so the N1 is not eligible. Now I know some people have personal belongings covered under renter's insurance. I don't have this either.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone knew of any insurance company that will let me just get insurance on a phone?

Also wondering if anyone knows of any companies already making accessories for the N1 (screen protectors/cases/docks/anything)?

Advertisement
  2. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

I already bought a gel skin for mine off eBay (bought it Saturday). Just do a search for Nexus One...there are a few cases already up for sale. What i'm looking for now is a precut screen protector.

3. mikegaudiello

mikegaudiello Member

I'm not sure, because I don't yet have mine but I'm thinking this is one of the first phones I may not use a case on. Apparently the phone is coated in Teflon which makes the back scratch resistant, and the front is similar "gorilla glass" as in the Droid, so I'm thinking this may actually be fairly durable as long as you don't drop it.

4. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

plus it comes with its own snazzy looking case, with the android dude on it. (case=sheath, like the g1)

5. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

You mean Teflon like the "so slippery food won't stick" Teflon? ;)

6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I find that putting my phone in a pocket on it's own works fine!

7. coeus

coeus Member

I just got done talking to a Tmo rep. I already have insurance on my line and he said that it would transfer to the N1. I asked him specifically if the insurance would cover the phone, and he said yes.

8. Dendore

Maybe I need to call back and ask another Rep.

9. bighead

bighead Member

confirmed earlier today: no insurance available through T-Mobile.

10. coeus

coeus Member

Well then. Maybe I should be the one calling a different rep.

11. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member

ask them to send it in writing

12. seeking

i was planning on stopping at a verizon store and getting a droid protection screen. they have the same size screen if im not mistaken right?

13. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

same size diagonally, but the dimensions are different, the N1 isn't as long as tall as the droid screen and is slightly wider

14. seeking

ugh, well that sucks. thanks for the info though because i would have been pissed.

any confirmation that the n1 uses gorilla glass though?

15. Dendore

So assuming Tmo won't cover me. What are some good phone insurance companies?

I want to make sure it covers incidental damage and water damage and preferrably even theft. Don't want to pay more than 10$ a month. I looked at www.squaretrade.com but they don't cover theft and only pays out 399$ on the phone. Their prices and reviews are good though.

Anyone know some others to look at?

16. kwaping

kwaping Well-Known Member

17. imajor86

imajor86 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2016
  18. TaeKwonDonkey

TaeKwonDonkey Active Member

I'm really hoping that Body Glove comes out with a case for this thing. Their BB 9700 case is like a tank

19. laughter95

laughter95 Well-Known Member

i'm waiting for something to drop from dcmugen. he said he could have screen protectors ready "soon" but the case is something that they "have to look into"

20. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

would Luke to otterbox come out with a case. I have had one on my iPhone for 3yrs. It still looks factory fresh.

21. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

i dont see how tmobile would have insurance at all for this phone. you did not buy it from them and you do not have it registered with them. tmobile has no way of knowing what phone you have. it is just a matter of putting your sim card into the phone. if insurance was given by tmobile what is to stop someone from claiming they lost their phone and said it was a nexus1?

but maybe somehow i am wrong...tmobile will sell a sim card with activation and you can select to add insurance, but how do they know what phone you are going to be putting it in?

22. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

have ins. On my iPhone. They said that if I elect to use it they would replace with a comparable tmo phone

23. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

just got off the phone with tmobile and spoke to more than one person. in no way are they offering any insurance on the phone. i was reading some of the posts to them and they said that nothing will be done inusurance wise for a nexus1. they have memos throughout tmob that say all issues with n1 are handled by google and htc. (this is known by anyone who did any kind of research about this). i guess this is a major drawback to the phone. one rep said it is like the iphone with att...there is no insurance offered. however i do know apple offers an extended warantee that i have yet to see offered by google and htc.

so the answer is no insurance for the n1 contract or not. if anyone tells you otherwise they are dead wrong. and trust me i wish they weren't.

24. TaeKwonDonkey

TaeKwonDonkey Active Member

Actually I change my mind, otterbox looks much more protective. The defender series looks like I could chuck my phone against a wall and it wouldn't be scratched

25. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I get mobile phone insurance as part of my bank account package - maybe you should look into that?

Other than that I would have thought that most insurance providers will do mobile phone insurance, even if separate from household possessions.