Proud NEW evo ownerTips

Last Updated:

1. ByeByePre

ByeByePre Member This Topic's Starter

So I had contemplated and researched for almost two months trying to decide on the Evo or Epic. I finally decided on the Evo and I was lucky enough to get the LAST ONE at radio shack last night!

Coming from a palm pre let me tell you this phone is amazing! I'm still a noob though so I dont even know where to begin on personalizing it, homescreens, widgets...etc

My wife is already mad at me for how much time I have been spending on it since last night!:p

Thanks to all you guys in this forum who helped me make this decision! (I've been lurking for a few weeks)

Advertisement
  2. ByeByePre

:)OH I do have a question. This may sound stupid but since it was brand new out of the box, does the froyo and all other recent updates come automatically installed? Or do I have to like do it manually or something.

Thanks!

3. Aydree

Aydree Member

prolly have to do it manuallly....doesnt hurt to try

4. ByeByePre

How do I go about doing that? Theres no risk of messin up my phone is there?

5. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

No Risk...

for updates go: menu - settings - system updates - HTC Software updates - check now.

6. BenChase7

PS. When updating, some of them take a while.. the update will download, then install automatically, the phone will restart itself two or three times for some of the updates... just leave it alone or you could wind up with problems.

7. ByeByePre

Will do it now!

Thanks everyone!

8. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Glad to hear you're enjoying your brand new EVO! Welcome aboard :)

9. ByeByePre

Thanks I LOVE it!

Just REALLY new to it all. Guess I gotta browse the forums to figure out how to customize etc...but I dont want to root.

10. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

It should have Froyo on it already, probably just not the update from the other day. I say don't update and just root your phone from where it is at.

After that your possibilities will be endless!

You can go to settings, about phone, software to see what Android build you have installed.

11. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

One of my reasons for rooting was to break the 30 FPS cap but with the latest Sprint OTA they removed the cap. The EVO is an awesome phone whether unrooted or rooted. A good place to start around the EVO forums is this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/72354-htc-evo-4g-guide-updated-1-25-est-9-2-10-a.html

Also this one: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tip...icks-guide-updated-8-53pst-sept-9-2010-a.html

12. ByeByePre

What kind of possibilities if you dont mind me asking?

It just scares me to root because I am VERY afraid of f'ing my phone up or bricking it.

13. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91853-lets-us-peek-your-screens.html read through the first post, then browse the thread and ask some questions.

start with
    folder organizer lite
    desktop visualizer
    smart shortcuts

this is only going to get worse :);)

14. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

Might I suggest playing with the stock setup for awhile to get comfortable. This forum is great; so much information it's unbelievable so if you have the time read, read, read. If you are a tinkerer, you're going to be in heaven. Try different apps and widgets. If you think of it, then there is probably "an app for that." Good starting point for apps try vlingo a voice to speech program, google translate, Edwin (another super cool voice to speech app) google gestures and google sky. Then you may get interested in delving deeper which is where xda forums fit in. Don't forget to set up your Gmail contacts and calendar. The sync there is seamless. However, be careful if you type in phone contacts under (phone contacts) because you will have duplicates and it is a pain in the butt to get it set up right. I found it best to manage your calendar and contacts from your google account. Even if you have pictures for your contacts on your computer they transfer over with no effort if you do it online. Have fun and no matter what anyone says, this is one hell of a device.

BTW I believe there is a neglected spouse thread in here too :).

15. BenChase7

yes, there is... thats where i go for confession.

16. dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

17. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I think it might just be me... but why is there an emphasis on a 'new' evo in the thread title? I mean, I know a bunch of people here on the forum have been dealt by crooked Sprint stores, being sold refurbished phones at full retail price... but has that gotten so bad it's almost like a miracle to be sold a new one? =S

18. ByeByePre

No, just excited that it is new. I hadn't really heard anything about Sprint stores selling refurbs.

19. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member

Word to the wise. Get a scratch guard for your screen. They tell you this glass is tough and you can't scratch it but don't believe it. Normal sharp objects like a knife or razor blade wont scratch it, but drag something jagged like the end of a staple across it and you'll be in for a rude surprise.