Prove to me that you have a working GPS on your Captivate!

Last Updated:

1. Galroc

Galroc Active Member This Topic's Starter

This is to everyone who claims that they have a working GPS on their Captivate via whatever means available to them.

1. Get Google Tracks.
    2. Turn on tracking.
    3. Walk, Run, Ride a bike for 2-3 miles.
    4. Post track on Google Maps.
    5. Post link to track here.

For example, here is my track using the Captivate this past Sunday: Bike Ride - Google Maps

Show me yours if you do have a decent track, post the settings and firmware version that you are using.

Advertisement
  2. symp el

symp el Well-Known Member

If you're that unhappy with the phone take it back. You sound very angry.

3. The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Nobody has to prove anything to you.

4. jza

jza Member

here you go bro! turned the gps on when i was on the highway, so you'll notice it's accuracy increase as it locked on. it locked within 30 seconds.

Track 1 - Google Maps

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. wdsport

wdsport Active Member

Here are 2 tracks I tracked last week via My Tracks at the beach when my GPS all of a sudden started working (My Tracks didn't track at all for the first 3 weeks I had the phone). Both were just walks on the beach, I haven't tried Tracks on biking or anything else yet.

Another Beachwalk Perdido - Google Maps

Track 13 - Google Maps

6. jza

jza Member

now can you stop crying in the threads? please?

7. Galroc

Thanks for the track, but it is driving.

Excellent tracks, much better than mine but your second track shows issues unless you really walked like that. Being on the beach most likely helped with your GPS signal, while I am usually surrounded by trees (which is fine with the iPhone 3G).

Not helpful.

8. Galroc

How do I sound angry from my written words? Note to self, include smilies! I am not angry. Just seeing all the posts of "OMG, my GPS is fixed, here is how!" was getting a bit much, especially when they haven't fixed anything.

Thanks genius.

But proving it to me and others would sure cut down on all the "OMG, my GPS is fixed, here is how!" posts.

I have also seen way too many articles still citing the XDA GPS settings for a working fix. The message has to get out there that the XDA GPS fix is not a fix.

Just a note, I like my Captivate, and it would be the perfect phone if the GPS worked. It is still a good phone and I would rather keep it over an iPhone.

9. wdsport

wdsport Active Member

Yeah, those tracks aren't perfect (and I may have been walking on the beach like that, I don't remember), but until 8/11 (I've had the phone since 7/20) I was getting tracks like this:

Track 6 - Google Maps

which was on my bike (on 7/29)--- and I haven't tested on my bike lately. It's terrible, as you'll see, looks worse than yours. And yes, it was in a downtown area, vs. my beach walks, so that could have affected it. (on the bike ride, I had "Use Wireless" turned ON, for the beach walks I had "Use Wireless" turned OFF whch made me know it was truely GPS tracking me, not cell tower triangulation or something.)

Vast improvement on my Tracks lately, for whatever reason, and before 8/11, turn by turn directions (Navigation) never worked for me, it had me a mile or more off of where I was (30 miles off on a road trip I took). As of 8/11, suddenly it works for me, at the beach, and the testing I've done on it back here in the city. I'm baffled, but GPS seems to be working for me currently (though the Tracks aren't perfect, they're close). I'll test another bike ride in the city tomorrow.

10. SeriousBizznass

SeriousBizznass Well-Known Member

My GPS is off by 300 feet. If you can't deal with that then maybe you should buy a Jitterbug or something.

11. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

Flash the JH2 rom over at xda. It will get you by till Septemeber when Samsung releases the official update.

12. thejdubb02

thejdubb02 Well-Known Member

I agree.

13. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I'm glad for threads like this. I use GPS quite a bit on my iPhone 3Gs, and if the Captivate is off by 300 feet, that is more than I am willing to deal with. I need better resolution, and you need a good lock to navigate. Until Samsung gets this GPS problem fixed, I have to say that the Captivate is off my list of possible new phones, as nice as the rest of the hardware is.

14. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

GPS is crap on this phone, if you don't care then STAY OUT of GPS threads. If it's good enough for you then STAY OUT of these threads.

GPS needs to be fixed, and I am sure it will be sometime in the future.

15. lilbluu

lilbluu Member

GPS fix is coming out. what is the point of pointing out a problem that everyone knows that exist.

16. Tinyboss

Tinyboss Active Member

I've got some great tracks, but I've got some utter crap ones, too. My Captivate's GPS can work, but very often doesn't. Can't wait for a fix for that and the compass.

17. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

Why do we need to prove this?

18. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

Or an HTC Aria... Mine GPS works great since I took back the Captivate.

19. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

It JH2 was no better for me. I flashed it before taking the phone back.

20. enjoimark

enjoimark Active Member

I got a warning today for being "rude and calling someone a liar". Looks like all of you need the same warning I got.

21. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

Off topic much? :rolleyes: