• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

proximity sensor and drop down menu while on a call "bug".

androidtx

Jun 13, 2009
I was on a call, and needed to check my email, so I pulled the phone away from my head, then checked my email, and then tried to use the drop down menu to select the call again, but found that every time I did that, the phone screen would shut off, because my hand/thumb was interfering with the proximity sensor. I never had this problem with my G1 because it did not have the sensor. Seems that google needs to fix this so that shutting of the screen is a combo of motion and proximity sensor. Is anyone else experiencing this or can replicate it? Just want to make sure it's not just my phone.

I was on a call, and needed to check my email, so I pulled the phone away from my head, then checked my email, and then tried to use the drop down menu to select the call again, but found that every time I did that, the phone screen would shut off, because my hand/thumb was interfering with the proximity sensor. I never had this problem with my G1 because it did not have the sensor. Seems that google needs to fix this so that shutting of the screen is a combo of motion and proximity sensor. Is anyone else experiencing this or can replicate it? Just want to make sure it's not just my phone.

Although I haven't experienced this, I see what you're saying. I also think it's probably something you have to work around as opposed to HTC/Google as the only way you can really effective change it would be to move the sensor. If it were to be based on proximity and motion, as you suggested, the screen would come back on the moment your head remained stationary.

Upvote 0
I think I also found a similar bug... when on a call, if you hit keypad and start typing, the screen keeps on shutting off.
I was on bluetooth when it did this.
Anyone can confirm?

I've had this too!

Regarding the proximity sensor and being on a call. I ran into this and then remembered i didn't have to swipe downward right where the icons appear. Anywhere on the top bar will swipe it down. So just move your finger away from the left corner and you'll be good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones