1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Proximity sensor delay

1. ducpiloti

ducpiloti Well-Known Member

When I take the phone away from my ear there is a 1-2 second delay before the screen goes from black to showing me the image, is this normal? On my iPhone this was instantaneous....

this is annoying because sometimes I will need to access the keypad on a call and when I remove the phone from my ear all I see is a black screen and have to wait for the image to re-appear.

Wondering if this is a defect that I need to address through warranty?

Advertisement
  2. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member

When I take mine away from my ear, there's about a 1 second delay so basically by the time I'm holding the phone in front of me, it's only a fraction of a second more until the screen comes on.
    Just in case you're interested, the screen goes off immediately as the phone touches my ear.
  3. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member

Probably a better way of putting it is that I just waved my hand in front of the proximity sensor while on a call.
    I'd definitely say 1 second max, maybe slightly less, before the screen comes on when I remove my hand
  4. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

There are manufacturing tolerances in everything we make. It's possible that your proximity detector is at the long end of what they allow. You could contact the store and ask if they'd consider a warranty exchange because it makes the phone difficult or impossible to use in some cases. (Some response systems will time out while you're waiting for the screen and tell you that they didn't hear anything. Even if they give you the option of entering the number again, you've put the phone to your ear again to hear what they're saying, and the whole cycle repeats.)

If they won't, learn to live with it - when you get a system like that, use the speakerphone.