Proximity sensor during call

Last Updated:

1. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

Somehow I keep managing to hang up on calls/call other people during calls. The proximity sensor does work but i think I must inadvertently move the sensor away from the screen, activating the screen.

Is there an app that requires the screen to be unlocked during a call when the screen re-activates?

Cheera for your help

Advertisement
  2. paulcooper

paulcooper Well-Known Member

Have you used a task killer to disable anything you are not sure about?
    you could try recalibrating the sensor?
  3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

DO Not kill anything you're unsure of. You could end up with a phone that can't reboot!

If on gsm only, that is the likely culprit, as you can't call and use data st the same time unless on 3g/h
  4. samdale36

No I have 3g signal at the time. I think the screen just turns back on and my cheek tries to call people/hang up.
  5. samdale36

Just found that I had started emailing one of my contacts during a call. So it must just be the screen re-activating when I am on the phone and 'tapping' away at the screen.

How do you re-calibrate the sensor? I can find the option to do this with the 'G-sensor'.

Any ideas on a way to keep the screen locked during a call unless I say otherwise? Ideally I would like it so, when I move the phone away from my ear the lock screen appears so I have to unlock it before I can do anything.

Thanks for your help
  6. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

There's a proximity sensor on the Desire? I'm a new Desire owner and didn't know that, what does it do exactly?
  7. Peruvemba

Peruvemba New Member

It switches off the screen to presumably save on power - when the touchscreen gets close to your cheek...
  8. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

It's not to save power. It's to stop your ear/cheek accidents pressing on-screen buttons during a call
    The exact problem the OP is having
  9. samdale36

I'm presuming there is no solution then. Will just have to hold the phone tighter to my head. O well.... still a fantastic phone
  10. copas2

copas2 Well-Known Member

Of course the purpose is to prevent accidental touches on the screen. Aaand it would be great if it could be applied to the whole system in general! Eg. when biking and the phone's in pocket facing inwards, the leg is operating the phone right after calls and events...
  11. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I thought the screen turning off during a call and back on when you've finished was achieved by the G-Sensor. The screen goes off for me when I'm using the loudspeaker and the phone is away from my face, either in my hand or on a flat surface, so I can't see how a proximity feature would work under these circumstances.
  12. copas2

copas2 Well-Known Member

Now that would be funny (G-sensor). But it makes no sense that the screen stays off when not in proximity. Do you have a Desire??
  13. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Maybe it depends on how you hold your phone (at what angle) The proximity sensor is at the top left edge of the screen (in the border), under where the power button is - to the left most corner. You can test this by making a call and hovering over that area.
  14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Do you have a case covering the proximity sensor?
  15. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

No.

I hadn't even noticed the prox sensor in the corner of the screen until today, although I did think it was clever that it turned the screen off when on a call and then back on when I moved the phone to see what I was doing to turn it off.