Proximity Sensor Issues with Google Voice and DialingSupport

Last Updated:

1. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a couple issues with the proximity sensor. I wouldn't classify them as problems (it seems to work), but as unintended behavior that could be avoided by using and/or ignoring it.

The first is with Google Voice. When listening to voicemail using the earpiece, the proximity sensor is not used do disable the screen, resulting erratic behavior of the app, including interruption and/or repetition of playback. I found a this issue already listed on Google's site. Anyone interested in starring it (and hopefully raising its priority) can click here. If anyone has a fix I'd love to hear it but I posted this more the raise awareness (and hopefully) its priority.

The second has to do with extended dialing sequences. For example, I have a number like 123-456-7890,,,7745,,8848#, which pauses for a few seconds before proceeding automatically. If I place the phone to my ear before the sequence is complete, the sequence is halted (apparently the proximity sensor causes it to halt). If I move the phone away from my face, the sequence continues. Anyone have a fix for this?

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

It's probably something Google will have to fix. Doesn't seem like an issue that we could resolve with settings or anything like that, but I will happily star your issue in hopes of it being fixed. I have also noticed some weird goings-on when using GV for voicemail.

3. mpapazog

mpapazog Active Member

I noticed the same thing. Also, my phone will go to sleep in the middle of listening to a message.

4. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

I agree. its one of the things that totally kills the google voice app. I have the display (on my Droid Inc) to turn off after 30 secs. When I have a message that's 45 secs.... well, you can guess what happens.

Also are you having issues with your cheek hitting the pause button? I end up listening to voicemails through the speaker.. Not the most practical thing when listening to voice mail.

Otherwise google voice rules.