• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Proximity Sensor Issues

brettlewis

Android Expert
Nov 3, 2009
Arizona
I have been having this issue for quite some time, but just figures it was a bug in one of the BB roms I was using. Well, since then I have been through about 10 different versions of bugless beast, droid mod, and several others.

My issue seems to be that when I make a phone call and put the phone next to my head, although the screen turns off, the touch is still activated.

I will be in a call and I will feel the phone vibrate against my head. I usually hit the pound of star key on the phone, and as soon as buttons are pressed in a call, it seems to mute my voice to the person on the other side of the call. I have to remove the phone from my face, wait for the sensor to realize i moved my face, and have to press the backspace button till all the random characters are deleted at which point the person on the other side can hear me again.

This happens to me on about 80% of my calls, and is by far the most frustrating issue I have had.

Do you think I should re-install stock and bring it in? :thinking:

btw, I posted this in root sub-forum cause I am rooted, and wasn't sure if it was just a rom issue.

I have been having this issue for quite some time, but just figures it was a bug in one of the BB roms I was using. Well, since then I have been through about 10 different versions of bugless beast, droid mod, and several others.

My issue seems to be that when I make a phone call and put the phone next to my head, although the screen turns off, the touch is still activated.

I will be in a call and I will feel the phone vibrate against my head. I usually hit the pound of star key on the phone, and as soon as buttons are pressed in a call, it seems to mute my voice to the person on the other side of the call. I have to remove the phone from my face, wait for the sensor to realize i moved my face, and have to press the backspace button till all the random characters are deleted at which point the person on the other side can hear me again.

This happens to me on about 80% of my calls, and is by far the most frustrating issue I have had.

Do you think I should re-install stock and bring it in? :thinking:

btw, I posted this in root sub-forum cause I am rooted, and wasn't sure if it was just a rom issue.

If it happens with every rom you try...I'd take it back. I have never had an inadvertent keypress while on a phone call...never. If it was happening all the time to me, that would be a big problem.

Reactions: brettlewis
Upvote 0
If it happens with every rom you try...I'd take it back. I have never had an inadvertent keypress while on a phone call...never. If it was happening all the time to me, that would be a big problem.

fanx.

heres your prize
cats-kitten-sink.jpg

Upvote 0
You could try the SBF method posted here and go completely back to stock/factory install and see if the problem still exists.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html

Unless that's what you already meant by stock.. in that case.. not sure.

Agreed. Your un-rooting anyway...Using SBF will get rid of all traces that you ever rooted. Nice pic by the way...my cats are less cute and more of a pain in the ass! Haha!

Upvote 0
Agreed. Your un-rooting anyway...Using SBF will get rid of all traces that you ever rooted. Nice pic by the way...my cats are less cute and more of a pain in the ass! Haha!

hm. all I did was use droid mod and used the stock option. It booted up the first time, but none of the hardware buttons were working and most of the apps were busted.

I did a battery pull, rebooted into a boot loop several times.

started up by holding down x, did the cam and volume up, and pressed "set to stock" or something like that. so I think it wanted me to clear the cache or something. It worked after that.

I guess Ill see what happens when I go in tomorrow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones