Proximity Sensor ProblemSupport

1. kevinm34232

kevinm34232 Member

I have a malfunctioning proximity sensor which is causing black screen when I make a call. At first, the only way the screen came back is if the other party ends call or I removed the battery. Now I'm able to to get the screen back on if I squeeze the phone close to the center of the screen. Sometimes it will work for a bit and sometimes it doesn't. I tried cleaning the sensor area but no luck. I have not found any app that will kkeep the screen on, is there a solution for this? Could this be software related?

Advertisement
    :
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Could be a software problem but since the problem started after replacing your screen, I'd think hardware. Does the power button turn on and off the screen consistently when not on a call?
  3. Wpz2000

Wpz2000 Well-Known Member

Did someone say you had the screen replaced? Was it the LCD or digitizer?

If it was the digitizer, I'll bet some of the double sided tape is sticking in front of the sensor (top left) and the phone thinks you've got it up to your face.

If you did the job yourself, open it up and check the sensor area. If a shop did it, bring it back!!!

4. kevinm34232

kevinm34232 Member

Yes it happened when the screen cracked and I replaced the glass digitizer. I did make sure there was nothing blocking the sensor. I d/l'ed the Android Sensor App which shows the proximity sensor readings, it is usually stuck on 0.00in which would tell the phone it's next to my ear, but it's intermittent sometimes it will work for a call or when I squeeze the glass and the back cover together.
  5. Wpz2000

Wpz2000 Well-Known Member

Almost willing to bet the digitizer install messed up the sensor - most likely a piece of the old or new double adhesive blocking the sensor.

6. annan147

annan147 New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just had the same issue after replacing the loud speaker. After seeing that you said if you squeeze the middle of the phone together, it works, I tried that as well and mine did the same thing. I figured out that the screws were likely just too tight in certain places. What I did was loosen the screws and then tighten them just to the point where they stopped turning. Do not apply any additional pressure to get them to turn more.

I'm sure you've moved past this phone, but hopefully this will help anyone with this same problem after they have replaced a part and are having this issue.