• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proximity sensor

Acropolis

May 8, 2010
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but when I first got my phone, the screen would automatically turn back on if I moved the phone while in a call. I really liked this because it made it easy to use the keypad or end a call. It stopped doing that. Now I have to hit the button on top of the phone to turn the screen back on.

Is there a setting for this? Was it supposed to turn the screen back on if I moved the phone?

I just asked this myself in the other phone thread. I read in another forum that it's a bug related to the "in pocket detection" setting. They said that if you turn that off then power down the phone, then the proximity sensor will work during calls. I haven't tested it yet, but I plan on it later. I always turn my phone off before putting it in my pocket anyway....I just turned it on because I didn't know there was a downside.

Upvote 0
Mine didn't work well when I had my sunglasses on because I wasn't holding it close enough to me due to the way my POS rest on my temple. Worked fine for the other calls I had.

At least this one doesn't cause me to push buttons like my Samsung did when I use it.

Are you holding it close enough to your face? Sounds dumb but I noticed it is very sensitive to that.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. I was talking and could not be heard as my face muted the phone. I noticed that the proximity sensor was not responding. I took it to the Sprint store in Florida to see if there was an issue with this. They were not aware of any other people having this issue. The only way to fix it was with a hard reset. Sounds like a software glitch that hopefully will be addressed in the next update along with the charge indicator issues.

Upvote 0
I'm just curious...do any of you that are having problems have a screen protector on your phone? I just put a screen protector on yesterday & that's when I started noticing problems with the proximity sensor. It's very possible I've been having problems & didn't notice until now but it could be a common factor too.

Upvote 0
Wanted to bump this thread a bit. I just got my Photon a week ago and noticed this problem from the get go. I have 'cheek' dialed a number of times in the last few days. Also notice that once the screen auto locks while on a call, I have to turn the screen back on to end the call. My EVO's screen would turn off and on automatically.

Kinda neccessary for a touch screen phone. IMO

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones