• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root proxy via HTTP ?

chronodekar

Mar 16, 2010
My provider only permits me to connect to the internet via the web-browser. ONLY the web-browser works. I want to use the Android market, but it doesn't connect.

Is there some sort of proxy I could use to get around this?

I can connect to the market if I'm on my home Wifi, but NOT if I'm on my network GPRS.

-chronodekar

Ah, that i didnt check :(.
But another friend of mine who uses a Blackberry frm Vodafone doesnt have any problems with accessing GPRS . . .

This other friend of yours, I'm guessing it was web-browsing he was doing? That seems to work just fine. What I feel is that anything non-browser based, Vodafone has blocked. Which is why I doubt if the App store would be accessible. Then again, they might make an exception for that as Vodafone has some kind of agreement with Apple.

Its things like sync or Android market that use non-HTTP protocols seem blocked or not working.

Frustrated with Vodafone,
chronodekar

Upvote 0
Well, maybe u are rite abt vodafone blocking access to apps.

If you ve checked their website u ll notice 2 kinds of mobile internet connections.
1. Vodafone live - this is the setting gs I am using for apns.
2. Vodafone mobile connect. - maybe this is what we need to get in order to access internet via other apps.

I am only guessing this. So u will ve to confirm with the vodafone customer care.

Sent from my Galaxy

Upvote 0
@ chronodekar..... reliance users are sailing the same boat as vodafone users....( or sufferers shld i say) offer 2.5 GB, but such a waste...so unlike airtel which is proxy-free.

Theres one software named proxoid for WinMo which takes care of this issue and lets WinMo users connect all apps thru HTTP proxy. They have recently launched this software for android but currently it only allows USB tethering. Hope they will come up wid the proxy bypassing addon soon!!

Upvote 0
Dude I have been a Voda Post Paid coustomer for more than 2 years. But I have never opted for Vodafone Mobile Connect ( Sucks Bigtime !!!)

I just got tired of connecting through wifi ( limited mobility) and got an Airtel SIM. Activated GPRS @ 98 /= for 2 Gb/month and using the same on Galaxy.

Chucked the Vodafone SIM on the poor old N 72.

So consider this otherwise simple option ;)

Upvote 0
@ chronodekar..... reliance users are sailing the same boat as vodafone users....( or sufferers shld i say) offer 2.5 GB, but such a waste...so unlike airtel which is proxy-free.

Theres one software named proxoid for WinMo which takes care of this issue and lets WinMo users connect all apps thru HTTP proxy. They have recently launched this software for android but currently it only allows USB tethering. Hope they will come up wid the proxy bypassing addon soon!!

Neil,

You must be referring to this project,

proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code

right?

-sigh- Yep, all they seem to be doing is USB tethering. But thanks for bringing them to my attention. Could be useful sometime.

sgx100,

Move to Airtel? I once considered that, but in my area, it's Docomo that has a reputation for better GPRS (I have doubts now..). But also, neither Vodafone nor Airtel bagged the 3G rights to my state, so it's pointless to jump there.

How many carriers does India have now anyway? There's Docomo, Reliance, Vodafone, Airtel, Idea ... etc. Heck, that's quite a bundle. Reminds me of how the US scene looked like about 10 years ago. (Some of you might remember Cingular and a few others).

I'm betting within 5 years, we'll see mergers happening in our mobile space as well. Going by current trends, I'm guessing that Airtel and Vodafone (if they can clear through their tax issue) will be the biggest players then. BSNL would probably be on life-support too. OR the government might dis-invest it out.

My random thoughts,
chronodekar

Upvote 0
sgx100,

Move to Airtel? I once considered that, but in my area, it's Docomo that has a reputation for better GPRS (I have doubts now..). But also, neither Vodafone nor Airtel bagged the 3G rights to my state, so it's pointless to jump there.

How many carriers does India have now anyway? There's Docomo, Reliance, Vodafone, Airtel, Idea ... etc. Heck, that's quite a bundle. Reminds me of how the US scene looked like about 10 years ago. (Some of you might remember Cingular and a few others).

I'm betting within 5 years, we'll see mergers happening in our mobile space as well. Going by current trends, I'm guessing that Airtel and Vodafone (if they can clear through their tax issue) will be the biggest players then. BSNL would probably be on life-support too. OR the government might dis-invest it out.

My random thoughts,
chronodekar

Oh I am so J of the Docomo 6 gb @ 100 bucks plan. Anyways I herd its good. Anyways ur right about mergers. Consolidation is the way forward for the Indian Telecom Market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones