PS3 Controller ClarificationGeneral

1. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 Well-Known Member

I just want to make sure I am understanding everything I have read before I make any additional purchases. I want to be able to play games/ nesoid, snesoid roms on my Nexus 7 with a controller. To my understanding, I can buy a wireless PS3 controller and a mini usb to otg cable, connect the two, then to the Nexus 7, and everything should work. I have read that I do not have to root for this to work.

The one remaining question I have is that I read I need an additional cable that comes with the PS3 (some kind of usb cable.) What kind of cable is it that I need, and where can I get it as I don't own a PS3 already? Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

The controller charge cable may come with the controller. I never purchased one but the controller that came with my PS3 had the cable. It's just a USB to miniB-USB cable. You may already have a few laying around! You'd still need the microUSB OTG cable to plug into, though.

MiniB is the connector on the right:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Mini_usb_AB.jpg
  3. Phoenix111

So then I will need the PS3 wireless controller, a mini usb to otg cable, and a usb to mini usb cable, right?
  4. damiencannell

damiencannell Active Member

Hi Phoenix, Any PS3 controller will come with a usb to mini as it requires this for charging/pairing. If your purchasing one new you wont need to buy this separately.

Cheers D.
    Phoenix111 likes this.
  5. perfectstranger

...and I think the receptacle on the N7 is microUSB. Be sure to clarify that before ordering the OTG cable.
    Phoenix111 likes this.
  6. Phoenix111

Great, thanks for the replies guys. So the usb to mini usb cable for the PS3 will come with the controller. Then, the only cable that I need to purchase separately is that mini usb to otg cable, right?
  7. perfectstranger

MICRO usb to otg cable
    Phoenix111 likes this.
  8. Phoenix111

You guys are the best, great community here. Thanks all around.