• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PS3 update questions.

9to5cynic

Android Expert
Feb 20, 2011
/home/
Hello all, I'm thinking about buying a ps3 this holiday season (bundle deals work on me)... I hear a lot about required updates... well, if I have no Internet connection, what happens? Will I be able to play the games I buy?

Can you install updates from a USB drive or something similar?

Cool cool thanks. Nope, no online. I just was reading a game review and (like many reviews) they were complaining about having to install all these updates so they could play the game (try that from dial up ya jerks!;)). Cool, glad you don't need Intertubes to get games working. And I read on wikipedia that you can download the system updates on a pc and transfer them over (very convenient I might add).

Upvote 0
^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And who even has a usb 1 device any more?! (actually I do, 512mb...) ;)

Cool cool. I like the all in one updates from disks.
Do you happen to know if game updates can be downloaded and installed via usb? (Ie: patches).
dont know that one. As when i tether my phone to my PS3. When lets say I start playing skyrim it will pop up theres an update for your game.

Upvote 0
^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And who even has a usb 1 device any more?! (actually I do, 512mb...) ;)
I got ya beat 256MB USB1.0 I like the "vintage" eletronics

My bud has a PS3 with no internet connection. He bought Modern Warfare 3 and played it with no updates... if the console cannot connect to the internet, it doesn't know there are updates for the game (which are mainly for online play.)

It appears even the System Software updates that TxGoat pointed out are mainly for online features. But you could always download those updates to a USB and give it a shot. The webpage TxGoat pointed to had a download icon

as far as tethering to you Android device, it all depends on what app you want to use for tether. I use Wireless Tether. located here---> http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk

Upvote 0

Cool cool. I like the all in one updates from disks.
Do you happen to know if game updates can be downloaded and installed via usb? (Ie: patches).

I got ya beat 256MB USB1.0 I like the "vintage" eletronics

My bud has a PS3 with no internet connection. He bought Modern Warfare 3 and played it with no updates... if the console cannot connect to the internet, it doesn't know there are updates for the game (which are mainly for online play.)

It appears even the System Software updates that TxGoat pointed out are mainly for online features. But you could always download those updates to a USB and give it a shot. The webpage TxGoat pointed to had a download icon

as far as tethering to you Android device, it all depends on what app you want to use for tether. I use Wireless Tether. located here---> wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.7 - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I have an 8MB sd card, and I think I have some even smaller than that. Kind of sad how fast memory expands (yet my own memory is on the decline). I'm sure in a few years everyone will be looking down at a 1TB flash drive as old tech.....

Upvote 0
I have an 8MB sd card, and I think I have some even smaller than that. Kind of sad how fast memory expands (yet my own memory is on the decline). I'm sure in a few years everyone will be looking down at a 1TB flash drive as old tech.....
I hear that!

Well, I just shot an email to the ps3 support site asking about installing game patches / updates from USB. Hopefully they respond soon. :)

Okay, I'd guess that the wifi tethering is just like connecting anything else to wifi.
(at risk of getting either more offtopic - do any of you use your ps3 for it's media capabilities?{like the blu-ray or video file playback})

Upvote 0
I'm not big on racing games (don't dis-like them, but they just are not my favorite (I'm pretty horrible at them)), but I did really enjoy mario kart (not really the wii version *gasp*).

I am looking forward to the infamous game(s) though.

No word from Sony yet. Set up a new email so they wouldn't spam me (or leak my information to anons ;) ). But they didn't wanna reply to that question anyway - jerks.

Upvote 0
I'm not big on racing games (don't dis-like them, but they just are not my favorite (I'm pretty horrible at them)), but I did really enjoy mario kart (not really the wii version *gasp*).

I am looking forward to the infamous game(s) though.

No word from Sony yet. Set up a new email so they wouldn't spam me (or leak my information to anons ;) ). But they didn't wanna reply to that question anyway - jerks.

I'm not big on racing either, but this thing is like the old school mario cart, not the Wii version. I'm not big on games like God of War either, but for some reason I took to that game too.

Have you looked at the 320 GB move edition? Its the Wii version and I think I saw it on sale for $249.00 somewhere.

Upvote 0
Damn, I got the 160GB version with two games (Little Big Planet 2 and Ratchet and Clank). I'm would have probably go LBP2 , but maybe not the other. Hmm. Oh well. I hear that you can put in pretty much any HD and I thought the move bundle was something like $100. And I'm not really sure how much I'd use it. I can't remember the last time I played my wii. >.>
Hmm...

Upvote 0
Damn, I got the 160GB version with two games (Little Big Planet 2 and Ratchet and Clank). I'm would have probably go LBP2 , but maybe not the other. Hmm. Oh well. I hear that you can put in pretty much any HD and I thought the move bundle was something like $100. And I'm not really sure how much I'd use it. I can't remember the last time I played my wii. >.>
Hmm...

Everybody Dance 320GB Bundle - Only at Target (P... : Target

There's the 320 GB for $299. Granted you'd probably have to sell the dance portion of it.

One of my favorite parts of the PS3 is downloading movies to a USB drive and playing directly from the USB on the PS3. Although, if I had Wifi access I could just share out my laptop's media folder and navigate to it from my PS3. I'd suggest getting a Bluetooth keyboard and the bluetooth remote.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SX9I2?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals $20.00

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
Cool, I've been looking for a BT keyboard for a while now, with no real luck (as to which one to get - also a mouse).

So the remote is a plus then huh?

;) Yeah, I'd sell the dance portion. I did seem to really like the commercial for (I thin) socom 4 where the move controller was placed in the fake gun and that was used. Looked pretty cool.

Hmm.. lots of things to think about ;)

Upvote 0
Cool, I've been looking for a BT keyboard for a while now, with no real luck (as to which one to get - also a mouse).

So the remote is a plus then huh?

;) Yeah, I'd sell the dance portion. I did seem to really like the commercial for (I thin) socom 4 where the move controller was placed in the fake gun and that was used. Looked pretty cool.

Hmm.. lots of things to think about ;)

Mini Bluetooth Keyboard For iPad, iPhone 4.0, PS3, Smartphones, PC

Doesn't work with Android phones....sadly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones