• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PS4 or Xbox ONE - the Android Angle

I've had a Xbox 360 for a while now, in fact there are 2 in the house, one for the kids (they don't play online).

Not really interested in the new Kinect and TBH I like changing every so often just so that I can see 'the other side'. Not going to take the plunge day one though, I'll wait until the new year, before deciding.

In terms of Android compatibility, I presume Sony are the more advanced (correct me if I'm wrong). What say the experts/console gamers/Android users/dregs of humanity?

--
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, a simple search of PS4 didn't turn up anything. Oh, your choice of console doesn't define what type of person you are, how large your thingy is or if you kick cats or not - so don't bother with the insults. I'm too old to care if buying the Sega 69 will give me longer orgasms and a fuller head of hair.

i lost so many PS3s to YLoD that i got tired of paying their premium. i have had the same white first-gen 360 (originally to replace the first PS3 that died) for a long time, probably logged more game hours on it than all four PS3s combined, and it has only given me temporary red rings (there are many codes for different types, such as all four red meaning bad video cable, or three red rings meaning power supply malfunction/building wiring fault, and the two lower for overheating) but none of them killing the console. the PS3 just dies with the YLoD. it will never turn on, it will just turn on and right back off.

the sad part is on most console gaming forums, the Xbox is about as popular as Apple products on computer forums. most of it due to FUD spread about the Xbox from folks who just abuse and kill their consoles. the disc scratching thing, for example, is caused by the console moving around in cabinets or being bumped by overactive Kinect gamers. that would also happen on a PS3.

i am not sure if i'll get the One. on the one hand, i like the integrated aspect, but on the other, i have a Smart TV already, and i have now moved most of my gaming as of late to PC and mobile platforms. I like the Kinect but i always got sick of it self-activating and randomly hitting things while watching Netflix or YouTube on it. for some reason, despite me disabling Kinect ID and deleting the profile from it, it always had this habit of self-activating even though i never waved at it. it self-activated and did all sorts of crap once when my dog was the only one in front of it.

Upvote 0
it's not that they are unreliable, as much as people who buy them abuse them, and the RRoD is said to be the 'ZOMG my console died!' FUD. the truth is that RRoD doesn't always end in death. a lot of red ring codes are either temporary or due to it overheating or a bad HDMI out cable. that's been my experience. i got a Code E-78 (GPU failure) but fixed it by buying a new power brick for about $40 at the used game store (the LED in the power brick was red meaning = BAD!--the power brick has a diagnostic light) the RRoD is no more 'deadly' than the BSoD in a PC--often a reboot fixes both problems.

the PS3s all ran seriously hot that i couldn't touch them. the first one died randomly but i sold it and it YLoD in-store. the second YLoD just sitting at the XMB for a few minutes. the third turned itself off and never did turn on, not even to give the YLoD. the fourth the same. PS3s used are about the same cost as new here. around $249. the Xbox first-gens are going so cheap they compare with the Wii currently anywhere from $99 to $149 with 20GB HD.

The PS3 YLoD is popular with fat models, but i have seen the slims do it more. i think the reason being that the slim is less able to move air out because the same vent that pulls air in is also the same vent that pulls air out meaning you're recycling heated air into an even more closed-in case. IIRC, the PS2 slims also died a lot from overheating. the 120GB slims (my last two) seem really bad about YLoD or burning out as mine did.

They call it a YLoD because they hate calling it a red light of death as that means Xbox. what a PS3 actually does is turn on briefly, click a relay inside, beep three times, flash yellow for an instant, then turns itself off and then continuously flashes red. so in a way, it is more a red light of death than a yellow light of death. the most common cause? burned out CPU/GPU units or bad solder.

Upvote 0
I've seen that you can use an android phone or tablet as a second screen for the ps4 and you can purchase games or dlc and your ps4 will turn on automatically and complete the download so it's ready when you get home. I'd be surprised if the Xbox one doesn't have these features as well though.

i lost so many PS3s to YLoD that i got tired of paying their premium. i have had the same white first-gen 360 (originally to replace the first PS3 that died) for a long time, probably logged more game hours on it than all four PS3s combined, and it has only given me temporary red rings (there are many codes for different types, such as all four red meaning bad video cable, or three red rings meaning power supply malfunction/building wiring fault, and the two lower for overheating) but none of them killing the console. the PS3 just dies with the YLoD. it will never turn on, it will just turn on and right back off.

the sad part is on most console gaming forums, the Xbox is about as popular as Apple products on computer forums. most of it due to FUD spread about the Xbox from folks who just abuse and kill their consoles. the disc scratching thing, for example, is caused by the console moving around in cabinets or being bumped by overactive Kinect gamers. that would also happen on a PS3.

i am not sure if i'll get the One. on the one hand, i like the integrated aspect, but on the other, i have a Smart TV already, and i have now moved most of my gaming as of late to PC and mobile platforms. I like the Kinect but i always got sick of it self-activating and randomly hitting things while watching Netflix or YouTube on it. for some reason, despite me disabling Kinect ID and deleting the profile from it, it always had this habit of self-activating even though i never waved at it. it self-activated and did all sorts of crap once when my dog was the only one in front of it.

My experience has been the opposite. My release day ps3 finally packed in a few months ago. I'm assuming it was due to overheating as it had sat in front of a radiator for about 7 years. I could of got it fixed but couldn't be bothered as I'd have been without a console for a week. In time I had the one ps3 my brother and a couple of friends have gone through 4 or 5 360's each so it appears that both have suffered from build quality. I guess some people have just been luckier than others.

Upvote 0
I'm going to wait close to a year after both consoles are released before make a decision. I've had PS1, PS2, Xbox, and currently play on an Xbox 360. I wasn't happy the Xbox One release strategy by MS. Even with their reversal, I'm still not pleased with them and am leaning towards the PS4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones