PSA Do not Flash Roms with low battery

Last Updated:

1. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member This Topic's Starter

If your battery dies while flashing a rom it can be a pain to get up and running again. If you battery is less than 40% charge it before you flash a rom.

Seemed to be a growing number of people having issues with this recently so I thought I would post.

Advertisement
  2. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

I just leave mine plugged in to the computer as I'm taking care of my flash addiction.

I remember reading somewhere that it can possibly cause problems but I haven

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member This Topic's Starter

4. silkchaos

silkchaos Well-Known Member

I can verify this. I'll admit to being one of the idiots that wasn't paying attention to my battery level when I was doing it. (luckily my wife's battery was charged). But while in recovery, or boot loader - it did not charge at all over an hour.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Yes it does not charge when in recovery or bl. The problem with having the battery die when your flashing a ROM is that everything gets broken, now with most ROM's your just updating stuff in /system so the worst thing you would get is a boot loop or FC's out the ass. However, with a full nandroid backup you could potentially brick your phone to the point where even your bootloader is corrupted and even the SBF trick won't save you.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought that the nandroid, which should only touch the filesystem, would be able to do anything to the bootloader.

7. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

Good to know. I don't think I've ever flashed with my battery very low but guaranteed I will be watching it more closely now.

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Good PSA - thanks!

9. Ronotron

Ronotron New Member

Ok... so i've always heard you shouldn't flash a rom when you have low battery. but what if you did and your newly flashed rom loses loses 5 percent battery within five minutes of being removed from the charger? is that because of it being flashed with a low battery? or because i just flashed the custom ICS beta 5? (I figured it could be a common problem with the beta version)