• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PSA Sneak Peek for Android "L" is out!!!!

Rxpert83

Dr. Feelgood
Aug 30, 2011
MN
From the sounds of it at I/O, Google will be releasing system images of the developer preview of android "L" release tomorrow.

:D

Welcome to another perk of a developer device!

Note - this will likely be in the form of a factory image - NOT an OTA.

Featuring:
Large design and function changes
ART Default runtime
Battery life improvements, with more detail on whats being used
More control over user data privacy

http://developer.android.com/preview/index.html

The preview will be available as factory images, presumably on Google’s usual site (linked in the source below). This site has never been restricted to developers only in the past, so we’re not sure if a developer account will be required to download and install this Android L developer preview. Installation should be a cinch with some quick fastboot commands from the bootloader.

The Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (presumably 2013-only) will have the builds available for download.

Source: Pocket Now

This is gonna be fun! Keep an eye on Google's factory image repository here.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
2dbtt2w.png

A pink themed inbox? Google have lost their minds if this is final. Seriously wtf

Upvote 0
I decided to go back and watch the I/O keynote and noticed, when talking about Android L being available, they said that it would be available for "developer devices" rather than for developers. This makes me think that anyone that has a Nexus type device will have access to L.
According to Pocket Now, only two: the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013?). See my post above for the quote and link to their article.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I decided to go back and watch the I/O keynote and noticed, when talking about Android L being available, they said that it would be available for "developer devices" rather than for developers. This makes me think that anyone that has a Nexus type device will have access to L.
The nexus 5 and nexus 7 (2013) will get it tomorrow. Probably via a factory image

Upvote 0
Probably right. At this point all I can do is let out a big sigh and shake my head anytime Verizon and Google are in the same sentence. Otherwise my blood boils :eek:

Apparently the 4.4.3 image for it was released today. And there's the new fiasco with the chromebook pixel losing the free data they were promised. So glad the Nexus 5 is completely free of their tyranny. I'll be riding smooth with android L tomorrow. :D

Upvote 0
Would I be able to use this with multi-ROM so I can take it for a test drive?

I'm wondering the same. My understanding is that we can if someone creates a flashable zip. Until then, we'd have to install it via fastboot as the primary, flash a compatible kernel, and restore a backup as a secondary rom (which I haven't done yet but I'm pretty sure is possible)

Upvote 0
I'm probably gonna wait a few weeks till the major major bugs are ironed out. It's gonna be hard to wait though.
I wouldn't expect bugs to be worked out soon, that's why I only want to take it for a spin. It is a developers preview-- the actual OS won't probably be released until the Fall. It's not a replacement for KitKat yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones