• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
**Potential spoilers (very minor, if at all) hidden - click SHOW to view!**

I like Psych a lot. I also regularly watch a few other USA Network shows (Burn Notice, White Collar, Royal Pains, Monk [previously]).

I only have one problem with Psych (which isn't a problem, but moreso just an area I feel it's lacking).

All of these shows basically follow the same plot format with one situation being discovered, then worked out to a conclusion at the end of the hour.

But, most of the other shows except Psych have some kind of "master" overlying plot, on top of the weekly hour-plot.

Burn Notice - Michael is on a constant quest to find information on the people that burned him. This is sort of a background plot across the entire season, where the foreground is whatever hour-long job they are performing that episode.

White Collar - The whole
music box/Kate plot
that has been running throughout the seasons is in the background of every episode, where the foreground is whatever FBI case Peter is working on during that episode.

Royal Pains - Generally, every episode has Hank/HankMed solving one or more medical issues in the Hamptons for the foreground. In the background is
Divya's arranged marriage, the love triangle of Hank/Jill/Emily, and the ailments of Boris.

Monk - Mr. Monk helps the SFPD solve homicides in the city. Recurring through the entire series was
Monk's search for his wife's killer

Psych - Shawn and Gus aid the Santa Barbara PD in solving crimes every episode. The only semi-recurring plot line that has since been pushed to the wayside was
Shawn's feelings for Jules. Also Shawn's father being a department liaison between Psych and the SBPD
. Both of which are very minor.

Every episode of the shows other than Psych give one more piece to the master plot each week.

Does anyone think there is something about Psych that I have missed?

Side note, this actually makes Psych very easy to jump in to at any time since you really don't need to know much (if anything) about previous episodes/seasons to know almost all of what's going on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones