Public Service Announcement [NEW? PLEASE READ]General

Last Updated:

1. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Public Service Announcement

Can I root my 2.1 leak/OTA 1.49 hboot?
    NO!

Can I go back to 1.5 so I can root my 2.1 leak/OTA 1.49 hboot??
    NO!

Can I get the OTA if I have the 2.1 leak?
    NO!

Can I put live wallpapers on my 2.1 leak/OTA?
    NO!

How do I put a custom rom on my phone?
    "Are you rooted?"
    No I have 2.1 leak, so what do I do?

You can't...you need root. No you still can't root.

I have the leaked 2.1, why isn't apps2sd working?!
    That would require you to have ROOT

How do I set up overclocking/wifi tethering on 2.1 leak/OTA 1.49 hboot??
    That would require you to have ROOT

This is in response to the thousands of posts spamming every thread I've seen in the past few weeks. I hope that this will help cut down people having to re-answer the most basic questions over and over again.

Mods, sorry if you feel like I'm trying to do your job or something, I'm not at all. I'm sure other members are getting annoyed at the lack of search and dumb, basic questions being posted every day too. Please delete if you feel necessary. Trying to avoid this all over:

____________________________________________________________________________________
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    (1st post)
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

Advertisement
  2. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

This will keep people from making stupid threads. I vote sticky!

3. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

No...they will still do it. I'm telling you. People don't read around them before posting. If it does get a sticky, then I suggest that you change the title to "I have 2.1 leak, can I root?"

4. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

I also vote sticky =]

5. BlueDC2

Thank you. It's not even just here...over on xda people were posting in a thread for a rom and asking why it wouldn't install...they were on 2.1 leak :cool:

6. BlueDC2

Anytime that someone posts anything asking this, just paste the link until they get the picture.

Edit: added to OP

7. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

+1 Vote sticky.

8. BlueDC2

*Votes for his own thread to be stickied*

I guess that makes 4 total, thanks:

9. jack danials

jack danials New Member

great post
    i am new to android and this simple post answers all my questions, wish i would of caught this before i loaded leak 2.1 v3 lol
    anyway this should almost be a must read for newbies like myself

10. x531x

x531x Well-Known Member

Lmao hilarious! Theres alot of naive, incompetent members on here. Who don't have basic knowledge of anything what so ever. I say for the people who want to sign up for androidforums they gotta take an IQ test and pass to get a account! And for the people who fail there ip gets banned lmao. That way we can keep out all the idiots lol.

11. BlueDC2

Im glad you read and avoided posting several threads with this info.

12. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member

Squelch the hate man... :D

If we were to get all nit picky up in this joint, we'd be ousting you for your grammar :p

On a serious note, though, you have to remember that new people come here all the time with questions, and I'm pretty sure unless people on this forum shit rainbows, they probably came into this place asking a few questions that had likely previously been asked SOMEWHERE on this site.

All that being said, I vote sticky.

13. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i was a total newb in november, had no idea about anything android....

14. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Great info, thanks. But I have a question. Can I go back to 1.5 so I can root my leak?

15. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

You betcha!

16. Sketchee

Sketchee Well-Known Member

I wish there was more people discouraging the install of the leaked ROMs before, at least to non power users. Now so many people installed this thing and are stuck. Seems like the OTA that I have is pretty much the same thing, which is a glass-is-half-full approach

17. jwdink

jwdink Active Member

Darn, when those leaks first came out, people were all over the place assuring people that when the OTA came out we could upgrade from the leak.

Is there a chance this will get resolved? If so, will someone make a post in this thread?

18. majorpay

There's always a chance they will root it, but since the versions are identical, there is no chance the OTA will ever be applied to the leaked versions, nor will a roll back on the boot loader be possible.

The difference between the OTA and the leak (version 3) was only the boot loader was updated when you used the leak to a newer version (hboot 1.49 vs 1.47) where they "fixed" the hole for rooting.

19. jwdink

jwdink Active Member

Sorry, I'm not following you 100%... are you saying this will definitely never be fixed? Some of the other threads are a little more hopeful:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/76474-2-1-ota-beginning-5-11-2010-a.html

20. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Damn those "root-holin' fixers"! :mad:

21. majorpay

No, I said "there's always a chance" (doesn't mean definitely not). They fixed the current hole (in 1.49), and devs are looking to see if they can crack the new one.

What I am saying definitely not to is the possibility of installing the OTA since the version LV3 is running is identical to OTA minus the boot loader. And rolling back the boot loader is not looking like a possibility either... Hacking the current boot loader is.

22. trishuhh

trishuhh Well-Known Member

Can my 2.1 leak v3 eris be transformed into a kitten killing machine? I was wondering if there is any way that I could post repetitive brainless threads about 2.1 and it some how kill thousands of kittens per hour.

Also, can I do this w/o root.

/sarcasm

23. majorpay

I believe if you use a step up transformer, you may not be able to "kill" the kitten, but you may be able to give it one hell of a shock, and perhaps if we use EventGhost as the trigger based on keyword specific threads in the forum...

We should ask the devs about this, as I really think you're on to something here :D

24. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

You'd sabotage your own I.Q. test with that post, on grammar, puctuation and spelling, not to mention a spectacularly naive assumption about forum members.

We won't bother to get into the differences between intelligence quotient and forthright seeking of knowledge in a forum such as this one.

I've seen the multiple postings of threads asking the same, or similar, questions repeatedly; the mistake is not one of intelligence, but one of impatience, the kind of impatience that causes members, new and older, to post a new thread rather than do a search in a forum.

It's everywhere and it has nothing to do with the relative intelligence of the people doing it.

25. BlueDC2

So any more votes for sticky so I don't need to bump?