• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pulling Droid out of drawer

raouldukey

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
So, I loved my Motorola Droid. Unfortunately a couple of years ago, my company decided to kick all Droids from the system and only allow iPhone. So I have been stuck with that for the last couple of years and miserable. They recently announced a new policy that makes me want to get away from a company phone altogether and get back to my Droid. As a test, I setup my mail to forward to gmail and located my old droid in the back of a drawer and it works fine (WIFI only at the moment) to access.

I am trying to work out what I should do to get my Droid up to current snuff. It is currently running version 2.2.2 and I am fairly sure I left it in a rooted state when I put it in a drawer (it shows the superuser icon). It is now saying there is an update... I would expect a few versions by now.

So, I believe I have the original image before I rooted it. Should I put that back on and then let it update? I assume it isn't safe to just let it update in its current form. Anything else I need to worry about?

Sorry for the NooB questions... it has been a while since I have played with Android and a bit rusty...

-R

Thanks for the suggestion, MSUgEEK. It is rooted, so trying a new ROM shouldn't be that hard. Difficult to look at that forum and figure out which one to try. It has to be pretty stable, as if I go this route, I am planning on using this as my daily phone. I assume I can get it turned back on ok if I have one of these ROMs running?

I assume it wipes out all of my apps when I put on the new ROM. I only really have one paid app (Touchdown - email app) that I would really lose but hopefully I can find my info and reinstall....

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion, MSUgEEK. It is rooted, so trying a new ROM shouldn't be that hard. Difficult to look at that forum and figure out which one to try. It has to be pretty stable, as if I go this route, I am planning on using this as my daily phone. I assume I can get it turned back on ok if I have one of these ROMs running?

I assume it wipes out all of my apps when I put on the new ROM. I only really have one paid app (Touchdown - email app) that I would really lose but hopefully I can find my info and reinstall....

Yes, you'll lose all of your stuff on the phone because you'll need to do a factory reset before flashing the ROM on the phone. BUT, as long as you remember your account that you used to buy the apps, they'll still be available for re-download because you've already purchased them. I haven't used my Droid in a year, so I can't speak to stability of any of those ROMs. Wish I could be more help on that front.

Upvote 0
I went the other way. I use the stock ROM, which an OTA update brings up to 2.2.3 and installed an overclockable kernel from Peter Alfonso. I'm using the higher voltage 1.0 version.

The rest is done with software, System Tuner Pro, allows many changes including overclocking. ADW is a better launcher. I was using Titanium Backup Pro to move the apps 2 the SD card, but finally an app I really wanted broke the camel's back, so I installed link2sd.

Link2SD is an app that I read complaints about a few years ago, but it appears to have the bugs worked out now. I've been using it for a week or so and not had a single hiccup out of it.

I have a very fast and responsive Droid OG and I can put off upgrading again. If you are going to fool around with ROMs, then make sure you make a nand backup using ROM Manager free before you do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones