1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Punk Rock Thread

1. cipher6

cipher6 Well-Known Member

Ok, where are the fans of old school hardcore/punk rock? What are you jamming now days? What good shows have you seen lately?

I just saw the Adolescents last week (second time) and Sick of it All are coming to town later this month (3rd time to see them)

Show before that was a few months back, Left over Crack.

So what are you old school guys up to now days?

Advertisement
    :
  2. nklenchik

nklenchik Well-Known Member

If you like The Adolescents, check out The Offspring or Sum 41 :)
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I still jamming to late 70s punk. No modern punk at all in this part of the world.
  4. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

NOFX still is the best thing out there IMO. Pennywise was good back in the day but I don't enough much more than Full Circle these days.
  5. juniorcleff

juniorcleff Well-Known Member

I still LOVE me some NOFX. Not often, but I still listen to older bands like the Circle Jerks, Descendents, Pistols, 7 Seconds, Misfits, and Agnostic Front.
  6. cipher6

die.

The first Richard Hell and the Voidoids album is one of my favs. The Damned, 999, Stiff Little Fingers, all great stuff!

I hate NOFX, but there are some shining stars in the 3rd wave (90's) punk rock crowd. Pennywise, Voo Doo Glow Skulls. But overall, in that time frame, I'd take the grunge/alternative over the Greendays and NOFX any day.
    r0ckstarr likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Great stuff. I will add Magazine, Ramones, Sham 69, Television and X-ray Spex to that list.

I often use English language music as part of my TEFL teaching work here. Most of my middle school students know Green Day, and wanted to learn their songs. Which I thought might be a good idea, until I looked at the lyrics of songs like 'American Idiot' and 'Holiday'....not such a good idea!! I don't particularly want a load of 12 and 13 year old Mongolian kids running around the place shouting things like 'Kill all the f*gg*ts that don't agree'. :eek:
  8. Snedd

Snedd Well-Known Member

Saw the Damned a few years back. They had a break in the middle of the set so Sensible could do Happy Talk. Top night out!

I will add Crass and Dead Kennedys to the list.
  9. septembergurl

septembergurl Well-Known Member

Ramones, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Buzzcocks, Wire, Sex Pistols, the Clash ... not into pop "punk" (Offspring, Green Day, etc.)
    argedion likes this.
  10. Superbrowndude

Superbrowndude Well-Known Member

Anyone down for some Chimaria or Burn the Priest
  11. nklenchik

nklenchik Well-Known Member

12. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr Well-Known Member

Winner! Not many people know or have ever heard of that. How South are you in Texas?
  13. cipher6

Corpus Christi, North of Brownsville, South of San Antonio, East of Laredo.
  14. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Lagwagon and Pennywise. I'm stuck in the 90's. Husker Du from the 80's.
  15. DoAndroidDream?

DoAndroidDream? Well-Known Member

Some stuff...the Descendents, JFA, TSOL, Fear, Black Flag, Crucifix, Circle Jerks, Amebix, Moderat Likvidation, Rudimentary Peni, Deviated Instinct, Anti-Cimex, Hellbastard, Concrete Sox, Discharge, Disorder, English Dogs, Black Uniforms, Blown to Bits, Drop Dead, Morne, Severed Head of State, His Hero is Gone, Net Jajev SS, Dystopia, Kylesa, World Burns To Death, Hellshock, Guida ..

A mix of hardcore punk, crust and the like. Older to newer, basically, and just some random off the top of my head bands.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  16. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Descendants are the shiznit.
    NOLA_Droid likes this.
  17. mojo_45

mojo_45 Member

Being a 40 something Brit ex-pat I remember The Damned, The Exploited, live at the Leicester Uni. Those were the days. One of my favourite punk albums of all time The Exploited, Lets Start A War............ Anyone for Psychobilly!! The Meteors, Guana Batz, I got 'em all!!!!!!!
  18. NOLA_Droid

NOLA_Droid Well-Known Member

Descendants, Lagwagon, Face to Face, etc.. Old school I would say the Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, and The Damned. On other fronts there is always The Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls, Social D, and The Street Dogs.

For Shits and giggles there is always Me First And The Gimme Gimmes!
  19. Bedroid

Bedroid New Member

Wipers. I just foud out about their music recently and I could not believe I missed out on that. First I thought, just another Ramones copycat, but there is so much more to their music.
  20. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Misfits, Descendents, DK, Adolescents, Ramones, The Pogues, NOFX, Minor Threat, just to name some.

Really digging arrogant sons of bitches if your into ska/punk.
  21. karadotcollett

karadotcollett Well-Known Member

just came in to say BANE
  22. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Operation Ivy of course. Can't forget them. Really like And Out Come the Wolves by rancid, though their last album kinda sucked.
  23. Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers "LAMF" is my favorite...
  24. cipher6

Damned and Exploited back in the day, that would have been an amazing show! Let's Start a War, was a good one, right up there with Punks not Dead and Horror Epics.

Psychobilly, I've got to go with Reverend Horton Heat, who happens to have grown up in the city I live in.

Yes, add to that NY scene Television.

Surprised no one has mentioned Iggy and the Stooges.

Aside from a lot of the crust stuff, I'm down what all that.

Wipers were good, I really like their 1st album. On the topic of bands Nirvana covered, ever jam Meat Puppets? They rank pretty high on my list.
  25. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

iggy and punk aren't words i'd normally use in the same context :confused:

i'm surprised no one has mentioned bad religion - suffer is a great album

i also like me some ramones and rocket from the crypt occasionally, tho' i'm usually more of a metalhead (a lot of which does have much influence from punk; namely anthrax, carcass, terrorizer etc.)