• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Purchase movies to download, possible yet??

Vegasbaby

Jul 23, 2012
I have a asus transformer tf101, android 4.0.3 tablet. I want to buy and own movies to watch anytime even when I am not on the internet. I travel a lot and want to watch movies on the plane. I purchased a movie from amazon but had to seek a credit after I found out that it will only play on tablets made by them. The market store thing for google doesn't seem to have any options except to rent the movie. I wish I would've known the limitations, I would've just gotten a laptop instead. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Thanks mhotovec.... but you would need to point me to a site that explains how to do that or what to buy. As someone who knows a little but is not a techie, that task seems daunting. What do I buy that will work with my pc and its particular burner that will also provide formats suitable for my asus.... then do I have to do something to my asus to get the ripped movie to play? Also, I don't own DVDs. I prefer to buy my movie and music content online. I am still overwhelmed by the pinnacle product I paid money for that can't seem to work with the burner on my pc.... that was a year ago and I gave up. LOL Now-a-days, it seems nothing comes with detailed instructions anymore. You either better be up on technology and can figure stuff out yourself or your out of luck. So, any place you can point me to show me how to do this would be great. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
I use DVD Catalyst 4, though there are many others that will do it also, it can be found here Home of DVD Catalyst 4 - convert fast and easy AVI DVD MKV to Bionic Droid iPad3 iPhone4 iPod Touch4 Iconica Innotab Galaxy Tab Nabi Playbook Transformer Prime Thrive Vita Xoom XyBoard and more .
The setting I've used is 'Android' & 'Xoom' (you'll understand once you see the screen). I recently updated to their current version, which I haven't used yet, and I see it has an 'Android' & 'TF101' setting - which one would assume would be perfect for our devices.

You shouldn't have to do anything to the device to get it to play the movie, other than copy the movie to it. Personally I prefer Mobo Player to the stock video player https://play.google.com/store/apps/...id.nil&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Upvote 0
I use DVD Catalyst 4, though there are many others that will do it also, it can be found here Home of DVD Catalyst 4 - convert fast and easy AVI DVD MKV to Bionic Droid iPad3 iPhone4 iPod Touch4 Iconica Innotab Galaxy Tab Nabi Playbook Transformer Prime Thrive Vita Xoom XyBoard and more .
The setting I've used is 'Android' & 'Xoom' (you'll understand once you see the screen). I recently updated to their current version, which I haven't used yet, and I see it has an 'Android' & 'TF101' setting - which one would assume would be perfect for our devices.

You shouldn't have to do anything to the device to get it to play the movie, other than copy the movie to it. Personally I prefer Mobo Player to the stock video player https://play.google.com/store/apps/...id.nil&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Sorry... another question. I went to the link for the DVD catalyst and there is a comment that I cannot convert movies purchased through Itunes. Am I understanding that correctly? I want to watch a movie I bought through itunes. If I bought it, don't I own it?? Do I have to buy it again as a DVD?..... if yes, I am going to complain to Itunes.

Upvote 0
Sorry... another question. I went to the link for the DVD catalyst and there is a comment that I cannot convert movies purchased through Itunes. Am I understanding that correctly? I want to watch a movie I bought through itunes. If I bought it, don't I own it?? Do I have to buy it again as a DVD?..... if yes, I am going to complain to Itunes.

iTunes and other digital distributors have their movies copy-protected. They used to do that with their music too, but I guess enough people complained about not being able to play their music on whatever they want, coupled with the recording companies losing money. The pressure for drm-free video content isn't quite there. At least music videos I bought on iTunes can play fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones