• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pure messenger widget

I was wondering if it is possible to somehow set the internal viewer to work with one service, such as Gmail, but have the native app work for something like SMS messages?

I tried disabling the internal writer (reply) in SMS and I see the Directly open the conversation checkbox only works if I disable the entire internal viewer.

Also! :) SMS messages say SMS, is there any reason for this? I just started using the app so I don't have much experience with it.

Thank you! :)

Hi,
For independant provider choice for the internal viewer, yes, I'll add it very soon :) with the same method than notification choice.
For "SMS messages say SMS", I don't understand... You you mean you don't want to see the title ? If yes, I am working on it ...

Upvote 0
Hi,
For independant provider choice for the internal viewer, yes, I'll add it very soon :) with the same method than notification choice.
For "SMS messages say SMS", I don't understand... You you mean you don't want to see the title ? If yes, I am working on it ...

This is exactly why I purchased your app. Your activity in this thread. :)

AWESOME on the independent provider choice. That would be wonderful!

When looking at my messages, I have it showing gmail and sms. I see the gmail and sms messages obviously, and they both have the icons to the right. However the SMS messages say:

SMS
John Doe
Hi Frost, how are you today?

I don't really need the SMS at the top of that, since we already know it's a sms with the icon off to the right.

Oh! And uh...:) one more idea....the ability to not show contact pictures for contacts that don't have pictures. I don't know if this is something you can easily determine or not. But if a contact in gmail has no picture at all associated with it, simply don't show the picture and use the added space for the message preview.

And that gives me another idea, for gmail/email the ability to just show from/subject only. That just hit me.

Anyway, thank you for being so responsive here. I went through this entire thread trying to decided if I wanted to purchase this product. Seeing your activity over time made this purchase EASY. ;)

Oh I am using the scrolling lists within LauncherPro

Upvote 0
This is exactly why I purchased your app. Your activity in this thread. :)

AWESOME on the independent provider choice. That would be wonderful!

When looking at my messages, I have it showing gmail and sms. I see the gmail and sms messages obviously, and they both have the icons to the right. However the SMS messages say:

SMS
John Doe
Hi Frost, how are you today?

I don't really need the SMS at the top of that, since we already know it's a sms with the icon off to the right.

Oh! And uh...:) one more idea....the ability to not show contact pictures for contacts that don't have pictures. I don't know if this is something you can easily determine or not. But if a contact in gmail has no picture at all associated with it, simply don't show the picture and use the added space for the message preview.

And that gives me another idea, for gmail/email the ability to just show from/subject only. That just hit me.

Anyway, thank you for being so responsive here. I went through this entire thread trying to decided if I wanted to purchase this product. Seeing your activity over time made this purchase EASY. ;)

Oh I am using the scrolling lists within LauncherPro

Yep, forums are a great way to discuss with users :p

The problem comes from the layout.
It needs to be :
line 1 - type and subtype or subject (no subject for SMS)
line 2 - sender
line 3 - body

The layout needs to be the same for all message :/
I can't hide this line for SMS :/
But I have an idea ... I'll test that during next revisions ;)

For contact pictures, the problem is the same. Layout is fixed. No way to get the 'free' space back, and I personnaly think the rendering would be weird.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Love the app, but I'm having an issue with the newest update. I've disabled all notifications from Pure Messenger, but the notifications still show up. I want my notifications to be the normal notifications from whatever program is notifying me. I've de-selected all of the programs on the behavior tab but it still keeps notifying me in the status bar.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Couple things:

I'm still trying to decide what the function of this app will be for me. I'd like to include Gmail and SMS, but I'm wondering about the SMS... When I get a new text from BOB at 9 30 PM, it doesn't fix the timestamp and replaces the text I got from BOB at 1 15 PM. This of course means it goes further down the list, which means that I could potentially have a few marked messages above it, and would have to scroll down just to see an unread text, even though it just came in.

Another issue I'm having is with Facebook. When I have a full computer screen, I have no problem filtering through dozens of stupid newsfeeds to get to the 5 or 10 I like. Even still, I hide most of them, but as far as my phone goes, I'd LOVE the ability to hide even more through your app. Maybe setting up a flagging system where it only gives me newsfeeds from flagged people? is this possible? Basically if I newsfeed on, any other service I also have enabled is rendered completely useless as it will be lost in the sea of pointless newsfeeds. I'd also like there to be more of a distinction then "notifications". was it comment on my status, or my wall, or a one of my comments, etc...

My last request would be to include google voice support.

Looking forward to the development of this app.

Upvote 0
Couple things:

I'm still trying to decide what the function of this app will be for me. I'd like to include Gmail and SMS, but I'm wondering about the SMS... When I get a new text from BOB at 9 30 PM, it doesn't fix the timestamp and replaces the text I got from BOB at 1 15 PM. This of course means it goes further down the list, which means that I could potentially have a few marked messages above it, and would have to scroll down just to see an unread text, even though it just came in.

Another issue I'm having is with Facebook. When I have a full computer screen, I have no problem filtering through dozens of stupid newsfeeds to get to the 5 or 10 I like. Even still, I hide most of them, but as far as my phone goes, I'd LOVE the ability to hide even more through your app. Maybe setting up a flagging system where it only gives me newsfeeds from flagged people? is this possible? Basically if I newsfeed on, any other service I also have enabled is rendered completely useless as it will be lost in the sea of pointless newsfeeds. I'd also like there to be more of a distinction then "notifications". was it comment on my status, or my wall, or a one of my comments, etc...

My last request would be to include google voice support.

Looking forward to the development of this app.

SMS problem: do you use a droid 2 or Droid X ? Do you use a timestamp fixer for this phone ? are timestamps correct in the stock SMS app ?
This is the first time I heard about such problem for my app... :(

Facebook: it's a generic widget. It's not a Facebook widget. It can't do everything.
But, please, suggest this feature here :
Suggestions Android 'Pure' widgets series (calendar)
and if other users are interested too, I'll do my best.

Google voice support : I already explained it on my blog, it is not possible. Google Voice is a closed source app, with no communication possible with external apps (I already spent few hours to check that).

Upvote 0
I installed the update today from the market for PMW. I immediately started to have force close issues with android.process.acore. I thought perhaps since PMWv was installed and running on my phone that upgrading it may have caused a problem. Does PMW use this, and could this have been the problem? I deleted PMW and after a few reboots (most weren't voluntary) the phone has calmed down and I'm no longer having all the force closed issues. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
SMS problem: do you use a droid 2 or Droid X ? Do you use a timestamp fixer for this phone ? are timestamps correct in the stock SMS app ?
This is the first time I heard about such problem for my app... :(

Facebook: it's a generic widget. It's not a Facebook widget. It can't do everything.
But, please, suggest this feature here :
Suggestions Android 'Pure' widgets series (calendar)
and if other users are interested too, I'll do my best.

Google voice support : I already explained it on my blog, it is not possible. Google Voice is a closed source app, with no communication possible with external apps (I already spent few hours to check that).

Droid x froyo no timestamp corrector just checked stock timestamps they are accurate. Currently the sms in pure messenger says ten am but in handcent/stock it says correctly five pm. Weird.

Idea for Google voice: lots of users myself included have Google voice email me when there is a new message. This then shows up your messenger for Gmail which is great. Maybe, however, when clicking the message near the reply and delete button there could be an option for gv users so we can click an icon and it will send us to Google voice. So all you need is a shortcut rather then actually integrating the app. Just a thought. I'll suggest it on the link you provided.

Upvote 0
I installed the update today from the market for PMW. I immediately started to have force close issues with android.process.acore. I thought perhaps since PMWv was installed and running on my phone that upgrading it may have caused a problem. Does PMW use this, and could this have been the problem? I deleted PMW and after a few reboots (most weren't voluntary) the phone has calmed down and I'm no longer having all the force closed issues. Thoughts?

without logcat impossible to say.
No other user reported such issue after last update.

Upvote 0
Droid x froyo no timestamp corrector just checked stock timestamps they are accurate. Currently the sms in pure messenger says ten am but in handcent/stock it says correctly five pm. Weird.

Idea for Google voice: lots of users myself included have Google voice email me when there is a new message. This then shows up your messenger for Gmail which is great. Maybe, however, when clicking the message near the reply and delete button there could be an option for gv users so we can click an icon and it will send us to Google voice. So all you need is a shortcut rather then actually integrating the app. Just a thought. I'll suggest it on the link you provided.

Be careful, I think Handcent have his own SMS timestamp corrector !
The problem is: if Pure messenger read the message BEFORE Handcent modify his timestamp... then it's dead, Pure messenger will have the wrong TS.
You should read install a good timestamp corrector... or at least try it.
I am 99% sure this is due to this dirty DX ROM and SMS timestamp.

Upvote 0
I will, Koxx, but it seems I've got more problems than I knew - I can't search for anything on the Market. Search just won't come up. I can update apps, but not search, so I can't get back Pure Messenger Widget, nor can I download and install aLogcat (I'm on a Captivate). I've cleared the data in the Market app, and in the AppBrain app. Something is messed up on my phone. I really don't want to do a factory reset again, but I may have to :(

Upvote 0
Just got reply from Nitrodesk saying that this was not in the plans, as it might compromise security, or rather the workload to prevent that is better spent on other features.

Here is the reply text:

"We have no intention of integrating TouchDown with any kind of messenger application in the near future. We have many other features to work on before this one, and as this feature would open up many security doors that we've struggled to keep locked up tight, we have no ETA on a period of time when we would have bandwidth to develop this. Apologies for the inconvenience."

Upvote 0
Hi! I just last night bought all of your "Pure" widgets - thank you so much for your work on them, and I'm happy to support your continued work. I have one question/request:

I installed your widgets mostly because I'm trying to create a clean, monochromatic look to my widgets, icons, and dock (like the default LauncherPro dock icons). But the blue buttons and green sms icon in the messenger list view don't fit in with my designs. Is there any way to get a completely monochromatic skin for the messenger?

(I'm using the 4x1 List, with white text and the Android Eclair skin set at about 50% transparency.)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi! I just last night bought all of your "Pure" widgets - thank you so much for your work on them, and I'm happy to support your continued work. I have one question/request:

I installed your widgets mostly because I'm trying to create a clean, monochromatic look to my widgets, icons, and dock (like the default LauncherPro dock icons). But the blue buttons and green sms icon in the messenger list view don't fit in with my designs. Is there any way to get a completely monochromatic skin for the messenger?

(I'm using the 4x1 List, with white text and the Android Eclair skin set at about 50% transparency.)

Thanks!

Hi,

for buttons and background, it's easy, they are skinnable (just edit 'eclair' skins files from the sdcard for example).
for message type icons, it's more difficult because they are not skinnable. You'll have to edit the APK images files (personnaly, I don't know how to do that, sorry).

Those icons are not skinnable for performances reasons (ressource icons are much faster to load than skin images in scrollable list).

Upvote 0
Hi,

for buttons and background, it's easy, they are skinnable (just edit 'eclair' skins files from the sdcard for example).
for message type icons, it's more difficult because they are not skinnable. You'll have to edit the APK images files (personnaly, I don't know how to do that, sorry).

Those icons are not skinnable for performances reasons (ressource icons are much faster to load than skin images in scrollable list).

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I had already done what you suggested and edited the buttons on my own. Now the only issue is that pesky SMS icon - it's the only color on my lovely monochrome homescreen! :( If I could just switch that to white, life would be perfect. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones