push but not push email?

Last Updated:

1. clockwork

clockwork Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

can someone explain to me how push works, and why my gmail on my hero is not a true push email even if it takes less than 5seconds for an email to arrive after being sent.

Advertisement
  2. PatBateman

PatBateman Active Member

Push email devices are always-on and always connected to the mail server, so as soon as an email arrives at the mail server it knows exactly where to send/push it to.

Pull email devices login and poll the mail-server periodically to check for mail.

To you and I, it makes little difference, as the Hero can be set for reasonably high frequency checking. :)

3. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

The contacts, calendar and GMail are truly push on the Hero. There is no delay, and no background polling is necessary on the device. That's the beauty of the Google experience!

4. clockwork

clockwork Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

are you sure that calendar is push? i often see the little update sign in the notifications bar... and its not as quick as email... is it still a google experience even on the MoDaCo ROM?

5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Google Sync ( provided you have them turned on in your phone settings) will sync both ways .. for Contacts, Calendar, & Gmail...

6. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Yes, calendar is push also. The update symbol often occurs if the synchronizing is queued for one reason or another. I often see that happen if I had sent an email that contained a large photo or something.

7. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

If I select Exchange as my sync source on the settings menu, will emails, contacts, and calendars be pushed both ways?

8. kiyobi

kiyobi New Member

not sure about contacts and calendars but for e-mail, if you set the download frequency to "as items arrive" then yes.

9. ogdenous

ogdenous New Member

Joe or anyone, I have set my Exchange to sync As Items Arrive option. For some reason the calendar is in a never ending loop every other second showing the sync symbol on the top. I see others having this issue as well. I am on Exchange 2003 SP2. :confused:

10. autorail1

autorail1 Well-Known Member

I get my gmail through the HTC client, but I need to pull it to refresh. My normal Gmail APP was working but stopped pushing and pulling. It actually says NOT CONNECTED (even when I refresh it says this) What could cause this?

Just found this under: Menu->Settings->Data Synchronization. It has a red exclamation point next to GMail and shows Oct. 12, 2009 8:25a.m. (Today is October 13 8:37pm) Now that I think about it that is when it stopped pushing.

Also at the very bottom it says: Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

Ok just fixed it under settings>Applications>manage Applications>Gmail and clear data. Works fine again

Calendar and contacts are fine they update right away.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

11. Otti

Otti New Member

Hi Ogdenous,

I know, it's been a long time since your post but did you find a way to fix this problem? As you can see in /desire-support-troubleshooting/309664-exchange-activesync-push-endless-loop.html, I am having exactly the same sync loop with mail push.

Otti