Push button application

Last Updated: 2013-01-11 13:05:15
  1. OberSchutze

OberSchutze Member

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to implement a small project. I have the control logic figured out I am just new to android development to have a full handle on the task at hand.

I have essentially a 5x4 matrix of buttons that I want to at random light up in a randomized time between 6 and 30 seconds between light up.. The person needs to push the button back in to reset it before 5 seconds or a small red X appears over the button. If the person misses more than 3 times the screen flashes red for a second before resetting the red Xs and the count starts over. There is also a reset button that will reset the counts and start over again and a exit button that will bring up a results page that has how many hits and misses and elapsed time. It should also create a small graph that shows the % correct over time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. OberSchutze

OberSchutze Member

Anyone have any ideas? I am still fairly new to software development.
  3. OberSchutze

OberSchutze Member

Well I figured out the XML part and that is mostly working. Having some small troubles with custom buttons but I can deal with that later. This question revolves around using the java math random function.

I am trying to create two discrete random events, however from what I understand about the random function I have to use an initial seed value of say 5. If my range is 1 to 24 I do not want to have 5 be the first value every time I start the application.

So my question is, can I make say 3 random functions that trigger after each other and use those values as my initial seed value in the random number I want for the first event to trigger?

For example:

Random #1 has a seed value of 5.

Once that triggers the number that is output is the seed variable of Random #2.

Then Random #3 uses the value generated from Random #2 as its seed value to get me a actual random number.

Does that make sense or am I overly complicating it?

Here is some code to hopefully help:
    [HIGH]
    public class randomgen{
    public static void main(String[] args){
    Random rand = new Random();
    int num1 = rand.nextInt(24);
    System.out.println("Generated Random Number between 0 to 24 is : " + num1);
    int num2 = rand.nextInt(num1);
    System.out.println("Generated Random Number from seed 1 is : " + num2);
    int num3 = rand.nextInt(num2);
    System.out.println("Generated Random Number from seed 2 is : " + num3);
    }