• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Push email problems

Travisimo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
USA
Using the stock Messenging app with the universal inbox. I have a couple of IMAP accounts setup and push turned on. Something odd happens to the Messenging app that prevents it from getting mail. It will hang quite often to the point where no mail is received at all until it gets unstuck (sometimes up to a half hour). If I go into the email account, it shows the spinning arrows as if it is trying to sync, but it just spins.

At first, I tried all the usual troubleshooting. I removed and re-added the e-mail accounts. I turned push off and on. I rebooted. I tried just about everything I could think of, but this has been going on since I got the Droid X. I made sure it was set to sync even when wifi is off.

I'm not sure what is causing it to hang, but I removed and added each account and it's still happening. Eventually, I'll get the emails but sometimes it takes a half hour or more before it frees itself up. I can't even use a Task killer to kill the messenger app because when I open it back up, the arrows are still spinning.

Anyone else notice this or have any suggestions?

Yup. It has happened twice affecting both my Exchange account and another IMAP account. Rebooting seems to have fixed it both times for me. I still can't send email on the IMAP account, but that's not critical yet. On the moto forums they have suggested using the mail app Touchdown as it seems to work better than the stock mail apps. But I really don't want to pay 20 dollars for a core app...

If they don't get these Exchange problems sorted out very soon I'm going to have to return the device. I can't miss work emails.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones