Push email - set it to check how often?Support

Last Updated:

1. tikigod19

tikigod19 Well-Known Member

hi all,

if you have a push email account what should you leave the check interval set to (never, 15mins, 30 mins, etc)

2. Smritirawat

Smritirawat New Member

Android consumes lot of power...just keep this in mind while selecting the interval..
  3. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

doesnt push email continually sync, like u get new mails immediately?
  4. tikigod19

thats exactly what i thought, but with email frequency check set to NEVER (there is no PUSH option) emails never come through
  5. mfj197

mfj197 Active Member

They certainly should come through with frequency check set to NEVER. I have both Microsoft Exchange and Googlemail emails pushed and both are working. Did you check the "Set as premium account" option when you added the account, as this is needed for push email (not applicable for Exchange accounts)?
  6. hidehide

hidehide Member

If there is checking interval, then it is pull instead of push..
  7. heshanj

yeah, my gmail is pushed n i receive notifications immediately. my hotmail is set as an activesync account in the email app, so i dont even see a refresh interval setting, i set it to Push once i created the account, not sure how to change it :p on the same email app, my yahoo mail is pulled, and i see the refresh interval setting.. wat type of email account are u setting up? :) and are u using the stock email app?
  8. tikigod19

i personally use K9 but this is for my colleague at work. He says his account supports push and that he DID tick the premium account button but I'm starting to think it may not be a push account.

Yes its the stock email app. I'll ask him about it and report back
  9. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Well-Known Member

I'm coming from a blackberry and it seems that activesync "push" email is not really push. In fact it seems like I need to open the mail app for it to receive emails. Is there a setting that I am missing? I have it set to "push" email at peak and non-peak times.
  10. jspx1

jspx1 Member

If you set your Hotmail or Live account to Push in the email app, the mail server pushes out new mail to the mail app, the mail app doesn't need to keep checking on a timed basis, therefore it saves battery life.
  11. heshanj

well i didnt change any settings after i created the account, but i set it to push.. and i get email immediately pushed to my phone.. i tested it several times :) i dont know if its true push or watever, but it works good enough for me :)
  12. boz81

boz81 Member

Hi, Sorry to hijack this thread but i've just started using push email and it works fine for me however i wondered how safe is it?

How do you turn it off if your phone gets stolen/lost for some reason?
  13. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Well-Known Member

There are some programs that allow you to remote wipe your device. I think Lookout has the option to and if you are connected to an exchange server the admin can also do it. I believe if you have an HTC Sense account they also allow you to remote wipe your device.
    boz81 likes this.
  14. mfj197

mfj197 Active Member

Samsung have provided samsungdive for free which you can use with your SGS II - works really well. You can locate your phone, track it, lock it and have it display a message, ring it, read the call logs, and remotely wipe it. Simply go to www.samsungdive.com and log in with your samsung account ID if you have one (if not you can enter one).