Push Email while roaming

Last Updated:

1. stoked

stoked Member This Topic's Starter

I have a TELUS HTC Hero and a few days ago I was visiting Seattle. While roaming on AT&T my Hero would not do push for my Exchange mail. When I checked the update frequency it was set to "As items arrive" but the field said something like "Sync disabled while roaming". I find it really stupid that this isn't a user setting. Has anyone else found this? The other odd thing was that I couldn't send out mail via Exchange while roaming.

Advertisement
  2. chickenlump

chickenlump Member

I think they do they so you wouldn't connect to Rogers and end up with roaming charges in Canada.

3. stoked

Doesn't make sense to me. Do they do the same for Iphones? I can connect with everything else, websurfing apps that use network.

4. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

Hello,

Please check that in Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile network settings > Data roaming is checked.

Regards

5. stoked

That was set. I should have posted that in my original post. Surfing, other apps, etc could all access internet while roaming. I could manually refresh my exchange mail but push and sending was not working.

6. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong,

But it's using SMTP server of your mobile provider to send email's and they very often allow it only when you are in their "home" network. So while roaming they recognize you as "outsider"?!

7. stoked

With Microsoft Activesync the phone doesn't use SMTP servers directly. The exchange server sends the email and your phone generally communicates with the exchange server via HTTPS.

8. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

As I never use it I cannot help you any more... :(

Just try to go

Settings > Data synchronization > Exchange ActiveSync and try to look there

9. Cypherak

Cypherak New Member

Ok, My Hero was doing the same thing. I found the settings here to enable sync while roaming.

Press HOME > MENU > Settings > Data synchronization > Exchange ActiveSync. Press MENU, and then tap Settings. Check "Sync when roaming."