Push Email

Last Updated:

1. Buddy & Muff

Buddy & Muff New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I have just swtiched from Blackberry to the HTC Desire. On my Blackberry, push email was exactly that - it was instant. On my new Desire I can't seem to find any settings to set it up in the same sort of way i.e instant email. I have succesfully set up around 4 or 5 accounts and the nearest settings I found was setting it to download every 5 minutes. Is this the nearest the Desire get's to push email?

Any help on setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

As you can see, I'm new to Android, HTC etc - please go gentle on me.:D

Advertisement
  2. mr-mixalot

mr-mixalot Active Member

Morning, I too have moved from Blackberry to a HTC Desire and was wondering the same thing, I suppose waiting 5 mins won't kill me

3. weirdNumber

weirdNumber Well-Known Member

I depends how your mail account is set up.
    I use my own IMAP mail server and use K-9 mail on my desire and push email works perfectly.

4. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Yep, you need an appropriate account.

The easiest way to get push mail is to use gmail and the gmail app.

5. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

My setup:

I use K-9 Mail for all my email (don't like the Gmail app at all) and have set up my Gmail account as IMAP. Google's IMAP servers support the IDLE (PUSH) protocol so I am getting push/instant email on my Gmail account.

My own domains I have hosted with 1&1 and their email servers offer POP3 or IMAP. I use IMAP and again, they support IDLE so I am getting push/instant email on my own domain emails.

My last email address is a hotmail.co.uk one. This I have set up as a POP3 server and although K-9 Mail CAN check it every five minutes, I see errors when it does, indicating that Hotmail only allow checking every fifteen minutes at most.

I can live with this - nothing on my Hotmail account is ever that urgent.

You can set up Google to collect your email from other accounts, but in my experience, if you don't receive much email to the account then Google will only check it every fifty minutes or so it seems. It checks more frequently if you receive more email (just like Blackberry does).