• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Push imap idle for non-gmail accounts ?

I just went to add another email account there.

First it offers three options; Pop3, Imap, or Exchange.

On clicking Imap I have the fields:

- username
- password
- imap server
- port
- security type (ssl, tls, accept all certificates)
- imap path prefix

Havent tried it because i don't have an imap email a/c, but hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you for checking out the settings, that's very kind of you.
Unfortunately these options are not sufficient to understand if imap idle is supported or not. Thanks anyway!

I just went to add another email account there.

First it offers three options; Pop3, Imap, or Exchange.

On clicking Imap I have the fields:

- username
- password
- imap server
- port
- security type (ssl, tls, accept all certificates)
- imap path prefix

Havent tried it because i don't have an imap email a/c, but hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you for checking out the settings, that's very kind of you.
Unfortunately these options are not sufficient to understand if imap idle is supported or not. Thanks anyway!

It's a risk on your part i know, but if you wanted to PM me details of A) an existing Imap account or B) setup a dummy one for me to check, then I could see if it works for you...

Upvote 0
It's a risk on your part i know, but if you wanted to PM me details of A) an existing Imap account or B) setup a dummy one for me to check, then I could see if it works for you...

SpottyElephant was kind enough to test an imap connection for me. We (he, actually!) found that imap idle is not supported in the standard email client, which can poll every 5 mins but not keep an active connection.
He also verified that emails deleted from the mobile are deleted from the imap server, too.

However, k-9 email (freeware) supports imap idle.

Spotty, thanks a lot for your availability! Hope this information can be useful to others, too.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones