• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Push Notifications (such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger) not received in background

nibras23

Lurker
Aug 28, 2014
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, running Android version 4.4.2. I've used it with no trouble for nearly 10 months now. Recently, I've been facing a problem regarding push notifications. I noticed that applications such as WhatsApp do not give me notifications when I receive a message unless I actually have the app open.
I recently got an app called Pushbullet, and (for those who know of this app) it was working fine when pushing things from my phone to my computer, but when pushing things from my computer to my phone, again, I was not receiving the notifications, although the links or files pushed would appear if I opened the app manually.
Note: Sometimes when I turn my router off and on again, I receive a whole bunch of notifications as soon as my phone reconnects to the Wi-Fi, so perhaps it could be an internet connectivity issue?

I am having similar issues on Samsung S3 mini. Been using Facebook messenger app with no issues for some time. Recently, not sure if it is since the latest update, am not receiving any notifications unless the app is open and I am actively looking at a conversation. The chat heads functions also no longer appears automatically as it did before, I don't know I have messages unless checking all the time. Notifications from Facebook itself are fine. All notifications settings have been triple checked in apps and on phone. Have tried reinstalling both apps and clearing cache on messenger app also reported on Facebook. Even my very ICT savvy friend is stumped and I don't know what else to try. Very irritating as I use the app all the time. Help please!

Upvote 0
I am having similar issues on Samsung S3 mini. Been using Facebook messenger app with no issues for some time. Recently, not sure if it is since the latest update, am not receiving any notifications unless the app is open and I am actively looking at a conversation. The chat heads functions also no longer appears automatically as it did before, I don't know I have messages unless checking all the time. Notifications from Facebook itself are fine. All notifications settings have been triple checked in apps and on phone. Have tried reinstalling both apps and clearing cache on messenger app also reported on Facebook. Even my very ICT savvy friend is stumped and I don't know what else to try. Very irritating as I use the app all the time. Help please!
My problems aren't exclusive to just Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp it seems. All notifications from applications which require internet access are having the same issues. Notifications do not arrive in the background, and upon disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet, they all arrive at the same time. I have no idea what's wrong.

Upvote 0
It has occurred for me from time to time as well -- not just this phone, but a prior Android as well. The problem would go away (and I'd get all notifications) if I turned the phone off and on again. I got the point (with the prior phone) that I'd turn it off every night, just to make the push notifications reset.

With a particular app -- K-9 Mail -- I'll lose push notifications if, er, ... sorry, must use a non-tech metaphor here ... if something is stuck. For instance, there's something about the configuration of one of my email accounts (verizon.net, heh) that doesn't get along well with K-9, and if I make the mistake of actually trying to send a piece of mail from the verizon.net account via K-9 Mail, the mail will sit there in my outbox, forever trying to send, and it will also stop all push notifications from K-9 mail (if, for example, mail is happily showing up in all my other, compatible, email accounts). I have to do a little song and dance to make it stop sending and to get the stuck piece of mail out of my outbox, and this will restart the push notifications. Don't know if that is any help to you folks -- but maybe check the individual apps to make sure you don't have a problematic message in there jamming up the works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones