1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Push Notifications

1. heavensenttom

heavensenttom Well-Known Member

Hi,

I can't seem to find the settings for push notifications anywhere on my phone. I managed to find them when I did the initial set up but now it looks like it's moved. If I go Settings-Accounts & sync all it lets me adjust are my contact synchronising settings. I want to change how often I recieve notifications for my Facebook/Twitter etc. Could anyone tell me how to do this please?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

You looked under the Facebook application itself?
  3. heavensenttom

Yeah I looked but couldn't see anything about controlling it's notifications. To be honest I can't find anyway of adjusting which apps I want to push and which ones I don't. I seem to have a lot running or loading in the background which is really starting to annoy me. I'm not great with the software yet though, so I might be missing something obvious. This is my first android phone, before this I used the iphone. Might have been a lot more limited, but it was also easier to use.
  4. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

The Iphone is like a Fisher Price toy :p

Under Facebook application you should have options for it im sure.
    I personally don't use Push messages since I always turn off when the screen goes off.
  5. heavensenttom

I got there in the end, it was in one of the menus within the facebook app. I don't use them either, I wanted to turn it off. For some reason though whenever I check my app killer, facebook and my email always seem to be on the list even if I haven't used them and the push notif's are off. Any idea why?

Haha I don't know about a fisher price toy, it was more limited yeah but it was a lot more beginner friendly too.
  6. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

May i point you to here to explain why not to use a Task Killer.

Here
  7. heavensenttom

Thanks for that, interesting read. Seems there is a place for them. But as all my apps are approved and I have no intention of downloading spurious ones, seems I won't really benefit from it.
  8. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

I aint going to lie, i didn't even read that site. i was hoping it would explain why a App killer isn't needed. Did it? :p
  9. heavensenttom

Haha classic! Well sort of. Basically it explained that if you shut down apps that aren't ready to shut down it ends up using more battery because they sometimes restart themselves and shut down properly. If you use a lot of unsigned apps its worthwhile, but if they're all approved then there isn't much point. Apparently.
  10. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Ha well, yeah don't use em, they are pointless.

You are playing angry birds for example then you finish, open up messages to text someone then to your home screen.

Angry birds and messages are still open but 'frozen' in the background.
    Not doing anything, just in RAM for if need be.
    If your phone starts running out of RAM Android (And Linux, since Android is based upon Linux) will start to close down apps that have been 'frozen' the longest.

Forcing apps to close just means that when you open it again instead of just reading from RAM to get the application started which is very fast, it has to start the process anew hence using more battery.

As far as I'm aware using signed applications or not they shouldn't be force closed.
    ONLY exception is badly coded applications which in my experience is a rare thing.

I hope this clears things up a little bit.
    RobBerry23 and heavensenttom like this.