push, pop email and reading emails offline.

Last Updated:

1. georgelowcar

georgelowcar Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 12, 2010
    I understand that android only supports push email for gmail (and obviously exchange server supports this). I also understand that yahoo is not pushed unless another app if fetched.

So my questions is how can i configure this system to get gmail pushed to this phone but i would like to be able to read the email (body only is fine) regardless if the phone has a data connection?

I know if i configure pop email, the entire email is fetched to the phone that i can read when offline, but with pop the device is polling the server. Not pushed. I would like to use push to notify the device new email exists and have it fetch the entire email down to the phone that i can read at a later time. I toggled 'flight mode' on/off to validate i couldn't read my email from the gmail application if 'flight mode' was enabled.

I come from the BB and i know the BB email configuration is king, but i don't think what i am asking for is too much? I understand the iphone will allow you to do this so i would think its a fundamental feature. I have reset to factory mode just in case i missed some setup option, but that did not make any difference.

It appears like the push feature for gmail is linked to the gMail application which requires a data connection. Is this correct?

- george