Push/Pull Email?

Last Updated:

1. sailor12006

sailor12006 Member

I am a new member of this forum, deciding whether to switch from a BB Storm 2 to a Droid X. My question is on the email capabilities of the Droid. With the Blackberry, I believe mail is delivered to the device when it arrives on the Blackberry server. With the Droid, does the device go out, for example, every 10 minutes and "transfer" the email messages to the devce, or does it operate more like the Blackberry?

2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

For Gmail, it's pushed like you're used to on the BB

For third party email it will fetch the email in whatever interval you set
  3. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

For Android phones, only your Gmail account will push to your phone. The way I get push mail for my other email account is I forward my email from that account to my Gmail account. With your Gmail account I can configure it so that when you send an email, it will show my other email account in the From field. That way, when I use my phone for email, it works as if I'm using my regular (non-Gmail) account with push mail functionality.
  4. Gnomad

Gnomad Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Gmail will still poll your other email server to fetch mail. There is no way to set the poll time for GMail to check, it all depends on how much mail comes through these accounts. Each time it polls your other email server if there is no mail the poll time increases to up to an hour. I was really disappointed in the email shortcomings until I changed my own domain email servers from GoDaddy's to GMails mail servers. I now get true push email with my own personal and business email addresses.
  5. Stuntman

I do not configure Gmail to poll my other email account. I configure my other email account to forward all email to my Gmail account. When my other email account receives and email, it immediately forwards to Gmail. Then Gmail immediately pushes it to my phone.

This is different than the email import feature of Gmail. That feature polls every hour. I was using it, but didn't like it. Then I discovered that my main email account had a forwarding feature. The forwarding feature of my other email account is what I'm using to get instant push notification on my phone.
  6. Zonjer

Zonjer Active Member

So how do you reply with the forwarded email?
  7. Gnomad

Gnomad Well-Known Member

You should find your answer here.
  8. Stuntman

I configure my Gmail account to reply with whichever email address it was sent to. I also import emails from my Hotmail account. If I reply to an email imported from Hotmail, it will reply with my Hotmail account's address. If I reply to a Shaw email, it will reply with the Shaw address.