Push SMS from Google Voice.

Last Updated:

1. Jorenm

Jorenm Active Member This Topic's Starter

It seems that if you do not forward SMS to your Droid, it will not push SMS notifications to you through the google voice app. This greatly hinders my ability to just do all SMS through Google Voice and skip paying for it monthly.

It's especially odd because both Gmail and Gtalk are push.

Has anyone found a good workaround for this issue?

Advertisement
  2. dougiesgoindeep

dougiesgoindeep Active Member

I read about this in another thread and the workaround suggested was to set google voice to email SMS notifications. Not a great solution, but maybe better than nothing.

3. corey

corey Member

may be a stupid question but do you have auto sync on for your gmail account, and the sync on in the power management widget? I havent tried sms yet but voicemail seems to be pushed

4. Jorenm

Jorenm Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, this solution doesn't appeal to me at all.

5. scorpio21

scorpio21 Member

Google voice only refreshes every 5 minutes, so my work around was to have GV SMS and voicemail forwarded to my Gmail. The 'push' e-mail to the Gmail app is almost instant and definitely faster than the GV app. If you reply from your Gmail account, the message is sent as an SMS to the user on the other side.

I declined a texting plan and so far, so good.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

thanks for the advice scorpio. I am going ot try this - an if it works that means I can ditch my texting plan and save even more money....

7. scorpio21

scorpio21 Member

It definitely works. My only complaint is that there's a notification for both Gmail and GV. I'm hoping they update GV so that it 'pushes' rather than refreshes.

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

That would be nice. Lucky for me I was already invited to GV, but have never really made use of it - I suppose now would be the time to make the foray in to the world of GV, eh?

9. scorpio21

scorpio21 Member

As soon as I decided I wanted this phone, I requested a GV invite, received it the next day, set up my contacts and gave everyone my new number.......it's worked like a charm so far.

One of my favorite features is the transcripted voicemail. I changed my cell VM so that it goes to GV VM. I love that I don't have to call and retrieve VM ever again!

I also like that I can SMS from a computer.......makes it look like I'm working all day instead of texting :p

10. camerons1986

camerons1986 Active Member

could someone pm me a gv invite please. thanx