Push to talk Hero

Last Updated:

1. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was browsing another forum here and came across a thread about an app called TiKL by TiKL Inc. TiKL uses your data connection for push to talk, like a radio, tried it out with my buddy who also has a Hero and it worked like a charm. I had no idea this app was out there so I figured I'd share with everyone else.

Advertisement
    Dmordarski, DLM, eyebeam and 2 others like this.
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Great Find I will check it out

3. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Dude, thanks for the suggestion! Anyone know if this app is available only on the Android market? My bro has the Iphone, and I wonder if it would work between the two markets and OSes.

4. jus1moriswear

jus1moriswear Active Member

it works pretty well but it burns up battery quick

5. Kataclysmic

Kataclysmic Well-Known Member

Hmm, this might come in handy when my husband and I take the kids out.

6. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Thanks. This looks really cool. I'll give it a try.

7. geeingu

geeingu Well-Known Member

wow rthis is so cool and the voice quality is excellent

8. BASS HERO

BASS HERO Member

i have been using this for a couple of weeks. very cool app. so far I haven't seen the option to choose your status or see exactly who's ping'ing you....very cool for what it is. Can't wait to see where it developes into.

SNOW

9. jguttz_evo

jguttz_evo New Member

yea its a real good app and a recent update has added caller id now. i have an evo and my girl has a hero and it works great. my brother has an iphone and i tried finding it on the app store for him too but i guess its not available for iphones.

10. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

awesome app!! If it goes cross platform (iPhone, BB, WinMo) it will be truly amazing. It is already cross carrier which is cool. It works well and doesnt seem to kill battery life when inactive.

11. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Now that's what I've been waiting to hear!

12. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member

I believe Palringo offers the same PTT functionality. Just another option.

13. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

I agree its a great app. It runs in the background a lot. I removed the app for that reason.

14. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member

Disregard my statement on this. I just tried this app, and it blows Palringo out of the water in PTT functionality. Pretty neat!

15. Taterus Maximus

I know there are a few other push to talk apps that use your data connection but a few of them require you to record your message then send it, what this really needs is a widget to turn it on/off or set status, it will run in the background and continue to receive unless you use a program to kill it.

16. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

The program is still officially BETA. It runs in the background. As I said earlier, it doesn't seem to be a battery killer. There is no set status widget or capability. The only way to shut it down is to kill it or uninstall it. It doesn't even show up when I look at Battery status and I have not noticed any ill effects on battery life. I buzz up my wife on her droid whenever I feel like just saying hi. She runs it on a Droid and I am on a Hero- no ill effects to either on battery or on crashes/force closes. I assume the app will only get better as it comes out of beta, but not sure it will remain free.

As I said earlier, if they cross platform this to BBerry, iPhone and sell it for $1 they'd make a bundle.

17. envioussob

envioussob Member

this is great! thanks.

18. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm... I used and was totally immersed in using Palringo on the WinMo platform. IT was really polished and worked real well. There wasn't a better social networking mobile app out there. Crazy then that the Android version is done (Garbage), kills battery and functionality is not there, FC all the time, auto disconnects, etc. They totally missed the bus there and concentrated on Apple/iPhone. I don't think, even if and WHEN they complete the Android version they are working on, that I would venture to use it. Was great, I'm just pissed on principle now that they sat on their hands for so long.

Hahaha, no freakin way JOBS will allow anything without an AT&T assigned I.P. connect to an iPhone, lmao... hahaha, I was crying when I read this, laughing so hard. Not at you, at the thought of Jobs running around feverishly trying to keep all the little green Androids from invading his Apple World, plugging hole after hole. This app goes to iTunes Store and provides Android connectivity, I GUARANTEE you it will be down in hours!

:)

HAppy TRails!
    :cool:

Wow, I just used this app with my daughter, it's really good!!! Amazing how good actually.
    I'm loving Android more and more each day, problem is, there's not enough room for all these crazy wonderful apps, at some point, you have to make a decision as to which one's stay and which one's go. Tikl will be around for a while on my phone. I wonder how well it would respond cross country??? I'd pay more than a buck... up to $5 if some addt'l functionality (file send) is added and better GUI. :)

Anyway, wanted to add my $.02

19. huffman6977

huffman6977 Well-Known Member

do you have to talk to another android phone or will it work with the nextel push to talk?

20. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Its pretty cool, I tried it out the other day at work... boy were them iPhone dudes hatin'! lol

21. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

how does this thing works? I had great fun using it today. Audio lag is less than a second. Impressive!

22. oalvarez

oalvarez Well-Known Member

Love this app! Thank you for posting about it. My friends and me played with all day yesterday! I felt like a kid again lol

23. dkokkos

dkokkos Well-Known Member

does anyone know if this runs in 1.5?

24. Taterus Maximus

They don't list any OS requirements, so I assume it does.

They have a Facebook page for this app if anyone wants to request future enhancements, lots of requests for widgets and a status or on/off feature along with a better GUI so hopefully those are in the works

25. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

Wish I had some friends with Android phones so I could try this out. :(