Push vs Poll EmailSupport

Last Updated:

1. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a question regarding push vs poll email. Is there ever a valid reason to configure polling on a push email account (ie. as a "backup" if the push fails for some reason)? In other words, if I'm currently receiving pushed email, is it completely useless and redundant to poll the folders as well? Or is it possible polling might work in the event push doesn't? I receive emergency alerts from my work so I'm just wondering if I should set up a 15-minute poll in case an alert doesn't get pushed to my phone. Or can I expect that whenever push fails, polling won't really do any good either?

Thanks.

~

Advertisement
  2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

IMO, if you don't receive the push, you're not going to receive the poll either.

If your work pushes to a gmail account you'll be fine. HOWEVER, if your work is pushing to a corporate email account, then exchange has been known to glitch.

My company doesn't allow company exchange on personal phones, so I can't set up exchange on my Captivate. I get around this by setting up an autoforward rule to my gmail account. I autoforward all the emails received from my boss, immediate colleagues, VIPs, and payroll :) -- Since the forward is activated on our exchange server, sometimes I get the forwarded email in my gmail account before I get them in my Outlook on my computer.

I would suggest setting up a forward rule to your gmail if your current work push is from a corporate exchange account, as your "backup" :)

I would also highly recommend uninstalling any Task Killers on your phone. They have been known to interfere with email/gmail/sms/mms services.

3. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks -- that's what I thought. I'm currently using Gmail (my work forwards to the Gmail account) and the push has been working really well. In fact, it seems to be more reliable than when I had BES w/a BB in the past. Anyway, I've been polling the account every 15 minutes as a backup, and while I'm looking for ways to reduce background/battery usage I figured I probably don't need this polling. Not that it eats up a lot by any means, but it's just one more thing I probably don't need to have active.

~