• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Push Yahoo email with K-9

Android25

Jul 24, 2010
I promise I did a search first, but couldn't find a resolution....

K-9 gives push as an option for Yahoo mail, and I do have a yahoo paid account, but push doesn't seem to be happening. I know how to set it up for my work email and gmail, and I do see that the option is greyed out (as I'd expect) for hotmail, so why isn't yahoo 'pushing'. Do I need to set up some other way? I can poll easily and everything works for checking and sending email, just can't get it to 'push'.

You need to set it up as IMAP. My wife is set up this way. I don't use Yahoo so I don't have the settings handy but Googling should yield them (it's how I found them). If you're setting it up as POP or any other pull method then you won't get push.

As for Hotmail, if you want push then look into setting it up with ActiveSync.

Upvote 0
Right...I have it set up as IMAP, but I think the first time I selected to have it automatically set up (maybe it picked POP), and then I changed to imap manually after. So I deleted the account and re-set up, choosing manually this time. I used imap settings with port 143, and checked the box for allowing push, and made sure the inbox folder has the right settings for push...but still no push :(.

Upvote 0
I just switched to MailDroid this week. After getting frustrated with other problems like not being able to delete old emails in the trash folder.

Then I discovered that there are more frequent K9 updates than those that appear in the market and the latest version seems to have fixed the deletion problems so I was thinking of coming back to K9.

Only thing is that MailDroid pushes my Yahoo email, didn't even know what push was till I noticed that email was coming in regularly on it's own and looked it up.

Now K9 seems ok but no push from Yahoo. Tried various things but nothing. It's obvious that Yahoo should push since it does it off the bat in MailDroid.

Hopefully something will come up that will fix it because otherwise I'm going to have to cough up $18 for maildroid without ads in the near future.

Maildroid is ok, but laggy with things like deleting multiple emails etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones