• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Put ringtone on phone internal memory?

sorry but that just isn't how it works. The phones internal memory is for apps and for app data. It wouldn't matter where the sound file is located it will still make the sound. If you go to your sound settings again, select notification tone and change that to what you want the sound to be. That will be the default system notification. If you want your email, gmail, and sms notification sounds to be different you will need to go into each individual app and set its notification tone to what you want them to be. But again I have to reiterate moving the sound will not make it stop.

Upvote 0
that isnt true though because if i set the notification tone to any of the preoloaded ringtones (which are not on the sd card) when i enter USB mode and turn off/on my phone it plays that tone. If i set my notification tone to a sound from my sd card, USB mode/turning on/off i get some beeps.
It's because the stock ringtones are on the phones memory. When it cant access the sd card like when its being used by the computer or before it loads/reads the sd card when booting up, OR when you shut down the phone and turns off the sd card it cant find it so it plays BEEPS

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue.. Unfortunately any time you charge using the usb or plug the phone into the computer it dismounts the SD card from the phone which causes all personal ringtones and notifications to be unavailable and you get the default ringer/ringtone. So in other words all custom ringtones ARE WORTHLESS cause even after you are finished and unplug your phone from the computer it still thinks they're unavailable! How stupid is that!? Even if you tell it to charge only, it still unmounts the SD card, apparently those settings do nothing.. you would figure mass storage or PC mode would unmount the card and Charge only wouldn't, BUT NO!! Somebody's gotta figure this thing out!

And i have a rooted phone too, but when i try to copy to the internal memory it says process copy failed, what BS!

Upvote 0
any time you charge using the usb or plug the phone into the computer it dismounts the SD card from the phone which causes all personal ringtones and notifications to be unavailable and you get the default ringer/ringtone. So in other words all custom ringtones ARE WORTHLESS cause even after you are finished and unplug your phone from the computer it still thinks they're unavailable! How stupid is that!?

You know, there are a million users who said that their custom ringtones keep changing or going to default, and I have never had that issue. Every once in a while, when I reboot, my default notification sound gets applied as my incoming email sound, but that's not a big deal. All of a sudden, last night I plugged into my PC for something and today, my notifications and ringtone are whatever the phone wants them to be! I think you may have figured out why, whether or not you knew it. ;)

I guess I won't be plugging my X into my PC anymore because that drives me batty getting all these weird sounds out of the blue.

Upvote 0
Same annoying problem here, I have a LG P500 with android 2.2.1 version.

The problem only happens when:
- Connect phone to PC using USB cable and
- Mount SD card to PC (dismounting it from cell) and
- The phone try to use the custom ringtone (from SD), like when someone call me

Note that this problem only happens when all these steps occurs; miss one step and no problem.

Yes, as a programmer I guess somebody did not think in all the possibilities, It's an annoying bug. It's really a shame that the only solution needs root access.

Upvote 0
Why are you storing your tones on the sd card?

Move our copy them to internal memory.

Create 3 folders in internal
called Ringtones, Notifications and Alarms.

Download the tones you want directly to your phone and then copy or move
Them to these folders. They will then appear as options when you change tones.

I'm on my first Android phone and this works for me.

No need to root the phone for this to work.

But, this phone is running Android 2.3.3 - could that be a factor?
I don't know, as I said this is my first Android phone so I know nothing about earlier versions of Android.

Upvote 0
Forget what I wrote above.
I created the three directories/folders (notifications, ringtones, alarms) in the my files folder.
I have just noticed this folder is supposedly located on the sd card.
So maybe I was wrong in saying I created them in internal memory.
However, this does raise another issue.

I very surprised to see the folder was on the sd card since, I have not inserted an sd card into the phone.
Maybe it came with one and they forgot to tell me?
Opened the back to have a look and found an empty slot!!!
So what's going on?

What does internal memory refer to?
And what its the alternative?
And how can I be storing files on a non existent sd card.

Ta
:thinking:
Ta

Upvote 0
PS
Is there an app to make using this forum and maybe other forums easier?
It its very difficult to navigate around the text entry field on the phone (GS2) window tends to jump to the top left of the field or elsewhere leaving the cursor ouryt of view. Also it is very hard to position the cursor to correct typos. The blue arrow that indicates the cursor position its way off and mostly on the wrong line.

Thanks again?

Upvote 0
PS
Is there an app to make using this forum and maybe other forums easier?
It its very difficult to navigate around the text entry field on the phone (GS2) window tends to jump to the top left of the field or elsewhere leaving the cursor ouryt of view. Also it is very hard to position the cursor to correct typos. The blue arrow that indicates the cursor position its way off and mostly on the wrong line.

Thanks again?

try the Phandroid app

Reactions: StormyWeather
Upvote 0
Forget what I wrote above.
I created the three directories/folders (notifications, ringtones, alarms) in the my files folder.
I have just noticed this folder is supposedly located on the sd card.
So maybe I was wrong in saying I created them in internal memory.
However, this does raise another issue.

I very surprised to see the folder was on the sd card since, I have not inserted an sd card into the phone.
Maybe it came with one and they forgot to tell me?
Opened the back to have a look and found an empty slot!!!
So what's going on?

what phone do you have again?

Upvote 0
Forgive me for reviving an old post, but I was having a similar issue with my Droid 3, found this post on Google, and have discovered an answer. Sadly, it's a bit convoluted.

You will need to Root your phone (Peter Souzua's one-click method worked for painlessly for me on my 2.3.4 freshly-bought Droid 3--your mileage may vary) and install a root file explorer (I used Root Browser Lite, which did the job, even if it lacks multi-file support on the free version).

Also, I highly suggest you "follow the leader" and make sure the sounds you wish to use are in the same format as the sounds already on the phone. In my case, on the Droid 3, I had to convert my sounds to .OGG format using Audacity. Despite a lack of such in the files I observed, I had no problems adding spaces to my filenames.

1.) Move the files you want to transfer over as ringtones/alerts/whatever to your SD card. Any handy folder is fine, as they'll be moved off again.

NOTE: Pick and choose which files you wish to use, as there may be limited free space in the system area!

2.) Open your file explorer and grant it Superuser permissions. Browse to the location on your SD card (usually mnt/sdcard-ext/ or mnt/sdcard/ then the subfolder you placed it in). Copy or Cut/Move the sound files. If you know what you're doing, you can use Cut/Move, otherwise Copy and remove the files on the SD card later (so you don't have duplicates showing later).

3.) Browse to /system/media/audio/ and place the sound files in the appropriate alarms, notification, or ringtones folder. Paste the sounds into the desired folder for that sound type. You may need to poke around a little to find it, make sure you can view hidden files and locations.

By the way, this is also a good place to grab a copy of stock sounds for transfer to a new device, rather than using Ringdroid to do it manually.

4.) Reboot your phone. This was necessary in my case for it to rebuild the sound cache.

5.) You should now see your sound files in the list of available sounds!

I experimented with the Notification sound to make sure it worked, as the Droid 3 beeps at you when it first boots up (preparing the internal and external storage), and after quite a bit of futzing around, got the desired result!

The rooting bit may be scary for some (it was for me), but I hope this helps some of you out! :)

-Wyrenth

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones