• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Putting 2.2 on Moto Droid

Abbott

Lurker
Jul 20, 2010
Hello everyone, thanks for reading. I am trying to put Froyo on my Moto Droid because I am really interested in the mobile hotspot. I am following this guide:
How To: Get Android 2.2 (Froyo) On Your Motorola Droid Right Now! | TheUnlockr
I am pretty sure I got the link from somewhere on these forums. I am a little nervous, as this is the first time I have ever owned a smart phone and this is the first time I am flashing a new ROM onto said smart phone. I am not looking for anything special or edited, just simply an OEM ROM of 2.2. or retail I guess if that exists. I want an unedited Froyo ROM on my phone, that updates and everything and works as if the phone came with it. Is this possible? In that guide it seems like the person named "ryan" that commented that the ROM isnt the "official build" and that made me a little nervous. I am assuming that everything that I am suggesting and asking for is legal and such, as I recall all of the android ROMs being open source (I think), but if this is out of bounds just let me know and I will edit and delete the post. Thanks for any help!

A few things.

You don't need Froyo (2.2) for a mobile hotspot, it can be done just by rooting your phone then getting the wireless tether app (for root users).

There isn't an "official" Froyo in the sense you may be referring to because Froyo isn't "officailly" running Froyo because Motorola hasn't released it to your phone (hence your question).

There are however "Stock" ROMS which come in two different varieties. First, are the "from Source" ROMS which are versions of Froyo compiled directly from the Android source code (the same code Motorola would use) with nothing altered, tweaked or added. These are compiled by community members generally.

The second group are the Leaks. Leaks are versions/builds of Froyo which the community has gotten a hold of from Motorola or Google by some means (usually an employee "leaking" it to the public). These are early versions of Froyo that that say Motorola is developing to eventually release on the Droid (for instance).

Both types, may have some issues with them but generally work fine with very little problems (every phone is different however). But you are not going to get an Official ROM. The main reason is they don't exist until they are released. But don't worry you don't need an "official" ROM, they community ones are amazing and in a lot of cases much better then "Official"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones