Putting Pressure on HTC

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

There's a movement going on over at XDA that I fully support. It started in the HTC EVO 4G LTE section, but this NOT specific to the LTEVO.

Basically, HTC doesn't release source fast enough. Its a problem with HTC. They claim they have between 90-120 days to release source, but the GPL (the licence that allows them to use the linux kernel) doesn't mention any grace period at all.

Furthermore, their major competitor Samsung has no problems getting source out as soon as the device is released or even before it is released. There's no reason HTC cannot do this as well. Instead, they keep modifications to the linux kernel under lock and key for financial gain. Android is open source, this is not allowed.

Delays in source affect all HTC root users.
    So we are taking to Email, Facebook, Twitter, ect to let our voices be heard.

[OFFICIAL]Team up toward HTC for timely source code releases! [PETITION LIVE] - xda-developers

For those that don't think this has a chance of working.... maybe so, but HTC broke to the EVO 3D users who complained about locked down bootloaders.

Advertisement
    tube517, ocnbrze and Mikestony like this.
  2. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

It worked last year when they went through the locked bootloader fiasco w/the 3VO. HTC felt the pressure and they will again. I signed it.
    Rxpert83 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

signed!!!!!!!!!!!i'm on board with this. thanx for the heads up rx. you would think that since they have made it so that we can unlock our bootloaders that they would have no issues with the dev community and provide the source code when available. i'm glad that there is a push to change their policy. hopefully they will see the light on this issue.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

I've been pestering them on Facebook. I think it's going to be the social media aspect of it that actually makes a difference
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Yup! After I signed it, I posted/linked it to my facebook also.
    Now some of my friends ask me what the h is that?!:p
    ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Rxpert83

Haha I posted a pretty lengthy rant on htcs wall and my old roommates gave me a ribbing for being a nerd, but it's the price we pay for getting source!
  7. ocnbrze

Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Well-Known Member

Or do what I'm doing and get a Samsung phone: p
  9. ocnbrze

Rxpert83 likes this.
  10. Rxpert83

The one and only thing I'll give credit for ;)
  11. MizzouBrent

I'm giddy for the Nexus. I don't care if the hardware is older. I'm going to have multiple variants of JellyBean and everything works 100% with minimal to no bugs. It will definitely keep me happy for 2 years. The Evo has been great, but the lack of functionality in ICS and JB is frustrating. I need my 4G at work since my 3G signal is so lousy, so that's a big deal for me. Even the Epic has CM9 stable, which is kind of surprising. HTC could have made the OG experience even better, but chose not to.
    tube517 and ocnbrze like this.
  12. Rxpert83

I got offered $530 for my LTEVO today and there was a person in my area selling his nexus for $160.

It was tempting lol ;)
  13. MizzouBrent

That would be a hell of a deal.