• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Putting to rest the myths about Task Killers/RAM Optimizers and the like

Don't worry about any of that. Android is perfectly capable of automatically handling closing apps as needed, dealing with running processes and RAM management. It needs no help from 3rd party apps or user input.

Just relax and let Android do its job as intended. It will learn how you use your phone and optimize operation itself if you just let it.
^^that ;)
I think of it this way, and perhaps it's been stated before.

DU tries to do its thing to an app...the app tries to do its thing but DU won't let it--- a "battle" ensues thereby draining the battery quicker.

Upvote 0
How do you know that what you are seeing is true? That's the game Clean Master was (is) playing g. Report great results to people and they just eat it up. (they currently claim to have 100-500 MILLION installs).

The built in Wipe Cache Partition can be relied on.

(I still can't give up ES File Explorer. I can't get used to the user interface in X-plore. Perhaps if I drove on the wrong side of the road ....)

... Thom

Upvote 0
Yes.

There are some "creative" things going on with apps. It is hard to tell what is trustworthy. ES File Explorer has a published e-mail address that is bogus. The author of X-plore answers issues (not quickly but he answers). The author of Tasker answers almost immediately to any reported issue.

The author of Smart Tools is simply great.

I was just suggesting caution.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Oh, there are certain times when clearing a cache file may be appropriate. If an app is struggling, then clearing that app's cache might help. Or if after a major system update the device is acting funky, clearing all caches so they can rebuild sometimes straightens it out.

I was reporting what I do. IT is different for different people. If you run a lot of pre-release software tests the probability of messing up the temporary file storage areas goes up.

Since I do and run test for other people and run tests of my own ... I wipe cache partition once a week. This well be more frequent then some people need.

... Thom

Upvote 0
O for sure got cha, no man, thks a million. And just to clarify I'm ;deffinetly not "bucking" U,Earlymon nore Hadron by no means matter of fact I've uninstalled DU batt saver and speed booster even left em a nice 1 star beware this app is snakoil rating lol. but how I know that it would stop an app is because if I didn't have an app I wanted to run in the background like say a performance booster wich I'm ;thinking I don't need anyhow on this rom and kernel set to lock fr;om stopping it would be killed and I wanted to run an app er 2 without killing em, but after further thought if I don't run an app that kills apps I suppose I wouldn't need 2 worry about that now would I. But I do have to admit I truly believed DU was helping by stopping unwanted apps from running.

Upvote 0
I use One tap cache remover, Was trying one that actually had SU rights, anywho if U dnt mind what's a good cache dumper app if U will,,?
None. Don't do that. Leave your app caches alone. There's no reason for cache cleaners. You're not following what has been said many times here.

Wipe system cache from recovery.

Never use an app with SU rights unless there's a good reason.

Upvote 0
Ya I know there's been a lot of talk about security apps and them being unnecessary on Linux really but Avast or was it Trustlook anyway one of em I was testing warned me of ES's bogus site which now is making me wonder how bad antivirus apps can be. I have a master key, re-key and fake I'd key fix of apps ;going on 2 from xposed modual, are they needed? tan some tests with Trustable & according to that app those keys are needed/good 4 security holes mostly on rooted devices by way of root telling Google a we got this.
You have a security thread, Hadron is helping you there.

There's been a lot of talk about security - but not in this thread.

Lounge threads topics can be anything - otherwise, please stay pretty much on topic. We have over a million members, if everyone used every thread for everything, we'd have a million scrambled threads and no answers.

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
OK got cha on where to wipe cache, no app but from TWRP er somthin my bad, interpreted that wrong. jeeeeez bro bad train ride? lol ouch!!! I feel like a total noob yet I've learned alot fast. wish I was a wiz like U pros at the moment. but I'm far from a noob just haven't involved myself in very a whole lot of any forum activity.

Upvote 0
The Truth about RAM is RAM Truth.

Fresh reboot on my Alpha.

Attachments

• 1434320280513.jpg
    1434320280513.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
So is there a way to stop an apps unnecessary background processing/running without an app like DU? I googled Snake oil after Earlymon and all of U put me up on apps like task killers and to be honest I had already did the research on how task killers are junk but I have to say I do miss stoppin an apps background running after I exit the given app at hand & don't need it to be running anymore. I just installed GSAM & may have to give a few other batt apps a try, but Ya I'm gonna check out GSAm in a bit and see if there's a feature to stop any roague running apps. I m not liking having apps running. in background with no quick way to optimize/kill it I mean after an app serves it's purpose and U exit it U should be able to have a simple way to hault it's processes till needed again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll try to save you some time.

GSam Battery Monitor is a monitor. It's not going to help you automatically stop background tasks.

System Panel will let kill services directly. And you can use the refresh button to watch them get restored automatically if there were any dependencies from other processes.

No need for a long explanation in reply - I and many others have seen your recent long posts in the F6 forum already.

You're not going to be happy until you kill those apps, and you're not going to find one doing it your way while still following the advice in this thread.

Maybe it's best to help you to stop running in a circle ok?

You want the og granddaddy app.

Check out "Advanced Task Killer"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller

Upvote 0
You're worrying about this stuff way, WAY too much. And I can't agree with EarlyMon this time. Giving you a link to Advanced Task Killer like giving Jack Daniels to an alcoholic. You don't need it and it will be abused.

There's no need to close apps, clear memory or handle system processes manually. Android does all that automatically and efficiently.

IOW, don't micromanage your phone. Don't install software that attempts to either. Let Android handle things as intended. It will automatically optimize operation if you let it.

Don't worry be happy. Relax and enjoy simply using your phone.

Upvote 0
You're worrying about this stuff way, WAY too much. And I can't agree with EarlyMon this time. Giving you a link to Advanced Task Killer like giving Jack Daniels to an alcoholic. You don't need it and it will be abused.
I can respect that. :)

Sometimes, maybe it's just faster to go right to the source so people can see for themselves.

And unlike all of the modern garbage, ATK doesn't try to do anything more than sell just itself.

Least invasive way I know.

Taking our word for it is great and we want to save people pain and suffering.

Maybe when that fails, the proof is more obvious seeing what happens if you go the other way.

Wrong?

Perhaps.

It's not a perfect world and I don't know how else to answer. Besides, an early post here explains how you can test the killers for yourself.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones