• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Putting to rest the myths about Task Killers/RAM Optimizers and the like

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Outstanding thread with outstanding explanations!!!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
EM is an excellent mod. ever since i joined he dealt patiently with my original distaste for the Android way (coming from Apple, of course, and yes, i fell for the whole task killer thing as well) and still patiently deals with my complaints when a change happens i just can't stand, and so on.

On other forums the mods were very closed minded, very one-sided. say one thing they didn't like, your post went POOF! or your account got banned.

Upvote 0
OK, so I don't use Task Killers. When I first started using Android, I was like everyone else who thought they had to be killed. A couple of things, though:

1.) What kind of killer is good for tasks that aren't quitting correctly? Sometimes they won't swipe in the task panel, they don't quit by pressing back twice, etc.? Sometimes things get stuck. Here's an example:
A few years back, we went to the park and got some family photos taken. I shot a few with my phone so I had them already on my phone. Pressed back a couple of times to exit, and put the phone in my pocket. 20 minutes later, I'm at like 20% battery because the camera app didn't quit. For awhile there, I used a task killer specifically to kill anything that I had just exited. Yeah, I know many of them aren't using resources, and just show up in the list, but some do keep running(only sometimes), and they do suck resources. That camera was a prime example. Some other apps have a rather convoluted process to find 'Exit'. Sometimes, you want to exit quickly and stick the phone in your pocket, you don't really want to look like you're playing some game at a wedding fir instance. So what I'm looking for is a recommendation on an actually functional, safe option for the times I have issues. They aren't often, but I like to have tools in my arsenal when needed. :)

2.) What about something like CCleaner? Some of my phones(Such as a couple of old DINCs I use for music servers at home) have pretty limited storage. I'd like something to clear out unneeded files, for example the .apk files used for install. I didn't even know those things got saved until I was trying to manually free up some space a few years back. Also, when apps are misbehaving, something like CCleaner is nice for clearing that cache, as opposed to the Settings>Apps>Wait, wait, wait, wait while it repopulates a list of apps the system should already know is running/installed> Wait, wait, wait>Scroll, scroll, scroll>Select App> Clear Cache>Yes, I really want to do this.

I understand that the Task Killers are mostly smoke and mirrors, I don't know about apps like CCleaner that cleans out junk files, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find that that particular app is questionable. I'm just looking for suggestions in the issues listed above that are still relatively quick and easy to use.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The DINC was a catastrophic phone where internal storage management is concerned. HTC hosed that one pretty good.

A number of near decent workarounds as well as questionable ones spread pretty quickly for it.

Among the worst were from some individuals trolling together, saying that they were from Verizon, making up dates and features for updates, engaging in flame wars and pushing killer/cleaners like crazy. There was much banning in the land. Sad days.

In theory, there's no such thing as apk files ever being left behind after uninstalling. In fact, the apk file used for installation becomes the app itself.

Except in reality, the Play Store (then the Android Market) downloads first to a temporary area, installs and cleans up the temporary files. Except when the Store/Market gets a bug. Or the download fails especially on a poorly made system like the old DINC. Then you get the temp area clogged and out of memory errors (false) and the myths start up again.

The real solution is deceptively simple, highly effective, good normal use maintenance and something you'll be happy about whenever you change phones.

And it's this - at the first sign of any trouble or slowing down or bad behavior -

Make as full a backup as possible (I recommend Helium Backup), do a factory data reset (properly cleans everything and restores phone to out of the box new state (but preserves SYSTEM updates since you bought it) and then restore the backup.

Some models are still really crappy and a factory data reset will leave you with an unworking phone. Find out when you first buy a phone - do it right away. If it fails, exchange it for something that isn't crap. Seriously.

But the sequence: backup, reset, restore - cures a great many ills and having the backup to restore when you get a new phone takes away a lot of ownership pain.

Again, the snake oil exists that will claim to do everything that above sequence I just specified does, except - no it doesn't, it's snake oil.

What about clearing all caches and temp files? Ummmm. Yeah. It's a last resort when you can't narrow down a rogue app and you suspect its cache is bad. HTC (maker of the DINC) used to include the option in the main settings - but doesn't anymore.

Just backup, reset, restore. You get a rhythm for it, it's not hard, you do it once or twice a year or whenever you want and life is good.

Hope this helps. :)

PS - everyone pre-Lollipop ran with the Dalvik Virtual Machine (detailed earlier in the thread). Apps running for no reason were almost always Dalvik cache errors, and can only be cleared by a factory data reset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The DINC was a catastrophic phone where internal storage management is concerned. HTC hosed that one pretty good.

Hope this helps. :)

PS - everyone pre-Lollipop ran with the Dalvik Virtual Machine (detailed earlier in the thread). Apps running for no reason were almost always Dalvik cache errors, and can only be cleared by a factory data reset.

Yeah, the one with the buggy camera was the DINC. They're still good as a basic media server, and they were awesome when they came out(Except for the memory issues), but they don't hold a candle to my S3, which is still an awesome phone, even with 2 newer versions out. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll try those.

Upvote 0
What about an app like Greenify ? Ive been using it for,well ever since i rooted my first android.I saw that task killers didnt really made much of a difference in apps i wanted to stay off.It works as a background process and it automatically hibernates selected apps upon exiting them,and remain like that until the user and only the user wakes them again.Naturaly one will stop receiving notifications and selected services will not run in background,which was exactly what i was hoping to get (Facebook mostly).Anyway what is your opinion on apps like this?

Upvote 0
Greenify is unique and controversial.

Let's go right to the horse's mouth - the dev - and see what he said (and I'm going to liberally paraphrase):

1. A lot of devs don't understand what they're doing and bloat their apps with unnecessary permissions, features and responses to system control events.

2. He tried teaching many until he was blue in the face that they were doing it wrong.

3. The end result is apps that misbehave and suck your battery because they stay awake. Facebook is the first one mentioned (and I agree, what a catastrophe).

4. His end goal is to get user feedback on what apps need and best respond to Greenify in the hopes that their devs will see their stuff on the list, feel bad about it, and fix their apps to straighten up and fly right.

So, where I advise just avoiding bad apps, he advises that if you can't, let Greenify in to deal with them.

Some will still wake up but not be allowed to maintain keeping your phone awake with the screen off. And it ought not do anything with the screen on.

It's an interesting approach - it'll be nice if he succeeds but I doubt that bad devs will respond. Especially ones with evil overlords at the corporate level.

It's a fight fire with fire philosophy.

Many have reported excellent results with it, some have complained that it hasn't worked out.

The weird part is, if he has to, he removes the app from cache and so start-up is impacted, they don't come back as quickly as when Greenify is absent.

For rooted users only - fight fire with fire - constrain the behavior of bad apps.

Fighting fire with water if rooted - find bad apps with Wakelock Detector, reconfigure to behave or uninstall, seek alternative.

I don't classify Greenify as snake oil, although others may differ on that.

I would caution that it's easy to abuse and overuse and would advise that there's no substitute for reading what he said in full and use it as intended only.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2155737

Read the first 3 posts in their entirety, imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed that Greenify is not pure trash like most so-called 'battery savers' such as DU Battery Saver, Battery Doctor and dozens of others. Even Juice Defender, maybe the most overrated supposedly 'legitimate' battery saver of all, should be avoided.

Greenify is different and can have some value, but only in special cases. Most users will find no advantage to using Greenify. Even those that could find it useful should do setup so as to interfere with normal operation as little as possible. IOW, use carefully and as intended, like EarlyMon said.

Upvote 0
^^^ This ... and ^^^ That (EM's epic saga)

The first thing you have to determine is if you have a problem at all. I can't tell you how many times people ask what's sucking their battery because they only get 36 hours out of a Note 4 with everything turned on. (okay, it's 12,462 times and counting ;) ) Now, you could throw greenify on there and tweak it until you're blue in the fingers and eke out maybe another two hours. Only you can say if it's worth the effort. The problem isn't Android or the apps or even the hardware. The problem is the expectation of getting 400 cups of wine out of one jug. As far as I know that's only happened once. ;)

Now if you really do have a problem, then it is always best to address the fault and not bandage the symptoms. Find and remove the offending app. There are almost always alternatives that actually work.

If you are bent on using a specific app that does cause problems, then greenify might be able to alleviate some of the ill effects, but it's not a fix, it's a crutch. ... so even though your device works better, you'll have to get used to the limp. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand that they have a Facebook light now.

I also read something about UC Browser adding some sort of specialization for Facebook, not sure what it's about.

Maybe those two are worth a look - don't know for sure though.
From what I understand they are testing it in India and a couple other country's. Facebook will find a way to screw it up though.

They always do!

Upvote 0
So, let's turn to what it means to be well-behaved and under control.

The following was taken with NO special tricks, powers savers, cleaners, boosters, roosters, or hens.

Bluetooth and NFC radios off because I found those were a problem for power draining, plus I don't (or hardly ever) use them.

Otherwise - set up properly and forgotten about, this is what to expect -

Get your apps under control and you won't need anything else.

7443452122_74018e3fea_z.jpg

;)

Oh - that quick glitch - I think I noticed that I was draining too slow or something and rebooted my phone. That sort of few-percent-on-reboot lost just happens some times. As you may imagine, I don't much worry about it.

Anyway - screen off - phone is dead asleep for all intents and purposes - and draining next to nothing - without majickal phooling around with the radidios (no magical fooling around with the radios in case you couldn't read that).

Upvote 0
So what if apps like 360 security? Does it actually help or hurt my phone. I didn't see where this was addressed or I may have missed it. This being the second android phone I've had I just assumed like my windows PC I had to kill apps for my phone to work. But back to my point does 360 actually protect my phone from identity theft. Or tracking and such. I know that to some extent that android can't get a virus. But my concern was my personal info on my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones