• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Q] 3DS System Transfer

mrhomiec

Android Enthusiast
May 16, 2010
Arizona
does anyone on here have any of their own experience of transferring from one 3DS to another?

i'm going to be doing this pretty soon with the Zelda 3DSXL bundle, and i just want to be prepared.

i found this guide for the general procedure:
How to Transfer Content Between Two Nintendo 3DS Family Systems | Nintendo 3DS Family | Nintendo Support

but i'm just wondering a few things:
* does the friend code transfer over?
if so, does the original 3DS get a new friend code?

* how does digital games work when both 3DS have games?
the one i'm familiar with is the 3DS/Mario 3D Land bundle. the game already came on the included SD card. are they all this way?
if so how would this work when i'm transferring digital purchases from the original 3DS?
the way the transfer guide sounds like, you have the choice of adding or replacing (by formatting the new 3DS first) to the new SD card. with the mention of formatting, it makes it sound like a "preferred" method.

EDIT: i'll answer my own question since no one chimed in.
the Zelda 3DSXL came with a downloadable code for the game. i had to first setup the 3DSXL, which i thought was stupid before i could proceed with the system transfer. this all took about 30 minutes. after it was done, all i had to do was take the SD card from my original 3DS and put it in the new 3DSXL to retain my downloaded games.
my original 3DS did get a new friend code, and the 3DSXL took on the original friend code.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones