1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

[Q] How can I Set default browser on Android 2.1

Last Updated:

1. zopper

zopper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dear ebveryone,

I have a 2.1 device. I have installed Opera and Firefox on it.

I would like to chnage the default Internet browser to either Opera or Firefox, but I cannot see how.

I checked and there are some applications (OperaBridge, Make it Default), but these were removed from the Market place (Perhaps Google was unhappy people choose not to use their own browser...)

I tried to use Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Internet won't work because the Clear default option is greyed out.

The option to select the default browser when one opens linked has disappeared.

Does anyone know how to either remove the default settings, know how to set Opera or Firefox as the default?

Regards, z.

Advertisement
  2. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

Hey there zopper dude!

Hmm i think you open 1 of the web browsers you just downloaded then go to settings and select "make default browser"

I hope this helps you dude! ;)

Regards

Stinks

3. zopper

Dear Stinky,
    No, it did not help at all. ;)

The Android browsers do not have these options.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

They do, actually. IIRC, however, Opera does not. Not sure about Firefox but it's still in beta so it might not either.

5. zopper

Sorry, my mistake.

Neither Opera nor Firefox beta have those options. These are the two I have installed.
    (On FF its even unlisted in the about:config).

6. barneystuta

barneystuta Well-Known Member

Have you tried Dolphin HD browser? That is what I use, and easy to set to default :)

7. zopper

No, I dislike Dolphin. I think Xscope is pretty good, but requires too many clicks to open the Go box (Two clicks to be precise). For the time being, I shall stick with Opera as the default browser (when I get it to work), and FF for testing.

8. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

Are you using Opera Mini or Opera Mobile. From what I can tell Opera Bridge only works for Mini, and it was allegedly pulled for gathering passwords and form information.

I've read in a few other forums that the galaxy doesn't register Opera Mini as a browser and the "clear default" tab wont show up as selectable until other options are registered.

Maybe it's just not seeing either as a browser. Try installing skyfire and see if the "clear defaults" tab lights up.