[Q] losing root with rumored htc update...

Last Updated:

1. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

in relation to this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...fps-cap-may-lifted-possibly-tomorrow-ota.html

Please excuse my noobness....question about losing my root with this "update" . I rooted my phone yesterday with UR3.21. I have not added and Rom or kernel yet, now my question is when Unrevoked states "we will lose our root" would it take us to completely stock as if I ran an ruu to unroot? The reason I ask is because I potentially may need to unroot and take it in the Sprint. I just want to make sure if i lose root with this update sprint won't be able to tell I had root access before. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If you did unrevoked forever then you have to flash the S-ON tool before the RUU. If not, the RUU should take you back to full stock.

3. wrapkgb

I did not use the forever version. I'm still confused... if I update and lose root will there be any way for sprint to nknow I rooted?

4. wrapkgb

SSorry I'm new to all this and don't want to mess anything up! lol

5. SOHurley

SOHurley Well-Known Member

How do you S-On, along with this guy, I'm new too

6. wrapkgb

Over on xda they have a tutorial on how to unroot Unrevoked forever. It should be stickyed. anyways they have the zips you will need and its pretty simple!

7. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If you are able to update using the OTA then you will be at full stock. I think rooted users have limited success accepting OTAs.

wrapkgb likes this.
  8. adonis4g

adonis4g Well-Known Member

I'm a noob too and I also rooted using 3.2.1 yesterday. I then did a manual update from a link that unrevokedtweeted. I believe it undid my root because I can't use my apps that reqyire root. But I now can go back and re-root using unrevoked 3.2.1. Antway with the Sprint thing, as long as you unroot and delete and uninstall superuser(just so you leave no evidence) and make sure your radio at the bootscreen says s-on, there will be no evidence of root. Even after you unroot, like someone else said, you may need to install the Unrevoked S-on file.

wrapkgb likes this.