• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Q regarding developing on a rooted phone

So I'm having troubles setting up my dev environment, in particular the emulator. So I'll have to end up developing on my phone (a Hero). And to be.able to take screenshots of my apps, I'll have to root the thing.
Now, I must say that the process seems rather invasive and risky, therefore, I hesitate.
One important thing I'm wondering about: how will having root access (adversely) affect testing my app, so that it will seem to work ok on my rpoted Hero, but it won't on someone else's unrooted phone? Ps my app will use an SQlite db, and read (and posdibly also write) to/from SD.
Another Q: how about malware, that will also get free reign? I wish there would be some kind of login upon startup of Android, so I could choose Root or another uid

Well, I'll add the disclaimer that I know nothing about developing apps.... But you might not be aware that on a rooted phone only certain apps have root access (as specified by the user). So it would be possible to try your own app without it having root access.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones